Simulation & Modelling Undergraduate Summer Placement 2019
What’s the opportunity?
Become a key member of our dynamic teams within the Simulation and Modelling Function.
You will play a role in the definition, development and maintenance of complex mathematical models. These models are used for multiple applications, such as performance modelling to evaluate the overall guided weapon system performance and effectiveness and also for autocoding algorithms for component software & real time testing of hardware components.
What will you be doing?
You will be a valuable member of the team who will make immediate contributions to the departments’ success. During your time on the Early Careers Programme you will gain an insight into the skills necessary to become a Simulation and Modelling engineer by working with an experienced and supportive team.
You may be involved in:
- Contributing to the specification, development, testing and delivery of large dynamic system models.
- Development of specific aspects of the performance models used to support key programmes within MBDA.
- Interfacing with other areas of the business responsible for developing sub-models and algorithms, such as Seekers and Guidance, Navigation and Control, and integrating their deliveries into the model of the entire system.
- Performing technical analysis and investigations into a range of issues and problems and developing solutions either individually or as a member of a team.
- Using models to support the system development process, assisting with trade-off and performance studies.
- Validating models against trials results.
- Developing and supporting a variety of software tools.
- Learning about and following software configuration and control processes.
What are the benefits for you?
- You will gain a good understandingof all phases of the engineering life cycle.
- You will gain knowledge of the design and functionality of complex weapon systems through your model development work.
- You will learn how Simulation and Modelling supports weapon system products and gain insight into a number of related disciplines (e.g. Guidance Navigation & Control, Software, Hardware-in-the Loop, Systems Design & Validation, Seekers & Sensors and Technical Quality).
- You will gain exposure to modelling tools used by the Simulation and Modelling department.
- You will have the opportunity to develop and apply the necessary skills for the development of large scale models to support MBDA’s portfolio of complex guided weapons products.
- You be given opportunities to develop important skills such as team-work and presentation skills.
What’s great about joining this team?
- You will be joining a hard-working team with a successful track record in achieving project milestones on time and on budget.
- You will be working in a very challenging environment where we are continuously improving to bring benefits to the programmes we are involved in. This includes our processes, methods and toolsets, each of which brings a variety of specific challenges to solve in order to fully exploit new benefits across a wide range of programmes.
- You will receive excellent support and advice from friendly and experienced colleagues.
What are we looking for?
- You will be working towards a minimum 2.2 Degree in a numerate/technical discipline e.g. Systems / Aerospace / Aeronautical / Control Systems Engineering, Mathematics or Physics
- Knowledge of MATLAB and Simulink is advantageous, as well as programming experience in languages such as C/C++/Ada/Fortran, although on the job training will be available where required.
- An appreciation of mathematical modelling
In addition you will:
- Have the ability to visualize and analyse complex systems
- Have good verbal, presentation and written communication skills
- Be a self-motivated individual who enjoys complex challenges.
Why you should come and work at MBDA?
MBDA, a world leader in missiles and missile systems, is a multi-national group with over 10,000 employees on industrial facilities in France, Germany, Italy, the United Kingdom and a presence in the United States. With some of the most sophisticated technology in defence, MBDA offers a wide range of advanced weapon systems for maritime Superiority, Air Dominance, Ground Based Air Defence and Battlefield Engagement.
- We work with over 90 armed forces, successfully integrating our systems onto multiple platforms.
- Has a technology pedigree that allows innovative and responsive products to be created year upon year
- Our success is based on the dedication of our people and we strive to offer each and every employee an enjoyable, challenging and rewarding career
- MBDA is ranked 12th in the Sunday Times Top 30 Best Big Companies to Work For, demonstrating successful growth and high levels of employee retention.
- Our work is complex, challenging and innovative. It takes a range of professionals across the full engineering and commercial spectrum to carry it out. Whatever field our people specialise in, they all share the same mind-set: a drive to make things work better and to redefine the established standards
What would you get?
£16,000 to £18,000 Salary dependant on year of study, flexible working, paid overtime, a comprehensive pension scheme, sporting activities, fantastic site facilities and superb learning and development opportunities.