Commercial Insight Analyst
Team / Job Purpose
Working for McDonald’s is more than just a job. We’re a business that aims to have a positive impact in everything we do. We offer good value, quality food and a fantastic experience for our customers. But it’s not just about the millions of meals we serve each year. It’s also about the hundreds of communities across the UK where you’ll find our restaurants, and the thousands of people who work to keep those restaurants thriving. It’s about you. Whatever you want to get out of your career – with McDonald’s, you can.
The Team: the BSI team are McDonald’s connection to our customers. Through Consumer and Business Insight we drive the business’ understanding of company performance, McDonald’s customer behaviour, our customers’ lives and the activities of our competitors. The Commercial Insight Analyst role sits within the small, high-performing Business Insight sub-team and forms a critical part of the function, distilling the high volume of data available to us into actionable insights.
The Role: from the outset, you’ll be responsible for at least one product category and for one of our headline Marketing events, such as McDonald’s Monopoly or our long-running Great Tastes of America food event. Your work will straddle equally technical analysis and presenting clear, actionable insight - and you’ll need to be comfortable with the prospect of both. Our business’ desire for data-driven insight is constantly rising, so you’ll be working in a fast-paced and dynamic retail environment, drawing on a range of data sources, both internal and external.
The Progression: we are looking for someone with an interest in building a career with McDonald’s. Entry-level Commercial Insight Analysts who demonstrate initiative, ability and commitment can expect to be promoted to the next grade in their first 18 months. After achieving your Grade 6 promotion, there are further opportunities for progression into the Senior Commercial Analyst role and beyond.
- To translate complex data into a picture of customer behaviour, influencing decision-making in the McDonald’s UK business
- To independently update and report on sales performance, and improve our regular reporting processes (ad hoc and on-going)
- To investigate and understand the internal and external drivers behind sales and product performances (quantitative skills essential)
- To monitor, record and analyse competitor activity and quantify the impact on McDonald’s performance
- To summarise and report on overall business performance in a concise manner
- To think on your feet and provide commercial insight for a range of business decisions
- To work alongside other business functions including Marketing, Finance, Food Development, Supply Chain and Operations in cross-functional teams, providing commercial guidance and results
- Key customers: Marketing, Finance, Supply Chain, Food Development, National Operations
- Third party agencies
Knowledge and Experience
- Educated to degree level in a quantitative subject (Economics, Business, Maths) - minimum 2:1 and above
- Strong analytical foundations and highly numerate
- Excellent problem-solving abilities
- Confident, independent and logical thinker with an interest in commercial insight
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to communicate complex ideas in a simple manner
- Strong Excel and PowerPoint skills
- An appreciation for the macroeconomic environment and wider retail issues
- Experience in analysing sales and marketing performance, either academically or professionally
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!