Human Resources Internship Scheme
What is the Human Resources Internship Scheme?
The Human Resources (HR) internship scheme will give you a practical introduction to the various HR teams at M&G and is designed to develop individuals who are passionate about pursuing a career in HR. You will rotate between different HR teams, with the opportunity to tailor your internship if your interests lie within a particular HR area (team workload permitting).
Over the course of 8 weeks, you will rotate between some of the following teams:
- Generalist Teams: The Generalist teams provide general HR support to the business and are split by client groups. We are the first port of call for enquiries and liaise with the specialist teams where necessary. The Generalist role provides a lot of variety and a typical day can include anything from a candidate interview to a performance management meeting, a discussion about a restructure, a query around immigration, a discussion about career progression to mediating in a conflict or dealing with a dismissal. Our role as business partners is to act as a sounding board for the business and our aim is to help them make informed decisions about people management. To do so, we challenge where appropriate and encourage best practice at all times. Being placed in the Generalist teams will provide you with the opportunity to get to know a diverse range of client groups, both in the UK and abroad, and get involved in a variety of activities.
- Learning & Talent Development (L&TD): The L&TD team supports M&G employees in their personal and professional development. We provide a wide range of resources and a comprehensive development offering, to help people build the skills and experience they need to achieve their career goals. We do this through the provision of in-house training, mentoring, coaching, external training, qualifications, team building, e-Learning, management development and structured programmes. Our roles are to ensure the quality of everything we offer is excellent and that we provide expert advice to our employees. Being placed in the Learning & Talent Development team, will give you the opportunity to work with individuals and teams from the business on their personal and team development and to see some in-house training in action.
- Reward: The Reward team provides reward support across the business, working closely with the HR Generalist teams. We are responsible for the design and delivery of an effective reward strategy that facilitates the achievement of business objectives. Being a people-driven company, we work with the business to ensure that our reward strategy supports the attraction, motivation and retention of talented individuals. Areas covered include salary, short and long-term incentives (design and management), benefits, pension, remuneration committee, governance and regulation.
- Recruitment: Recruiting the best talent is vital to our continued success and we have two teams to support these activities. The graduate & apprentice team recruits over 70 new trainees each year who are either recent school or university students. This team attract diverse and high quality students through campus events and online marketing, design and the selection process and manage the trainees once they start their employment. The Experienced Hire team provides end to end resourcing support for teams looking to hire candidates at more experienced and senior levels. Team members work directly with the business to discuss their resourcing needs, source candidates and provide advice and candidate relationship management throughout the recruitment process.
What will you do?
You will work closely with senior management and colleagues to expand your range of skills and competencies, with the opportunity to arrange meetings with colleagues across all teams to find out more about their tasks. You will learn on the job by working on day-to-day tasks and specific projects, being expected to make a genuine contribution to M&G’s success from week 1.
Work that previous interns have been involved in includes:
- Performing competitor analysis and making recommendations to the HR management team
- Conducting research and presenting the findings
- Reviewing and creating content for the M&G careers website
- Mapping current Diversity and Inclusion activities, conducting a critical review with recommendations
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for interns with a curious and driven approach to their work and an interest in Human Resources (HR). You will have strong attention to detail and the ability to think laterally to solve problems. Given the nature of this role, you will need to possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills. We are looking for interns from a diverse range of backgrounds and actively recruit from all degree disciplines.
You will be in your penultimate year of study, be predicted a minimum 2:1 undergraduate degree from any discipline and have 300 UCAS points or equivalent.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!