Commercial Management Graduate Scheme
What is the Commercial Management Graduate Scheme?
M&G’s success hinges on both its investment excellence and its ability to optimise and distribute this capability. The Commercial Management Graduate Scheme will give you exposure to the many parts of the business that support investment teams and distribute their products worldwide. With many different areas to explore, there's bound to be a career path for you - whether it's within Strategy, Investment Specialist teams, Business Management, Client Relations, Sales, Marketing or Operations. The Scheme will last between 12 and 18 months, involving a series of 10-week rotations, at least one of which you will be of your choice. Graduates with the relevant language skills can additionally rotate in our overseas offices to experience our sales functions. Towards the end of the scheme we will work with you to find a permanent role and team that best suits your strengths and interests.
Whilst some areas within this scheme work to support fund managers through their business functions, this scheme does not involve analysing investment opportunities. Candidates interested in this area of work should consider applying to the Investment Scheme.
What will you do?
You will be involved in varied work in which you can make a genuine contribution to the organisation. All graduates have to do at least one rotation in Equities, Fixed Income, Retail and Group Operations. To give you a feel for the scheme, we include below some descriptions of typical roles undertaken by graduates:
- Product Development: PD is responsible for both the management of existing funds and development of new ones. In this role you will be supporting the team with projects to ensure the fund documentation reflects both the fund strategy and adheres to industry regulations. You will also be involved in fund launches, taking product ideas from inception to implementation, which necessitates significant interaction with stakeholders around the business.
- Strategy: There are various Strategy teams across M&G, which analyse the current effectiveness of their business areas and assess how M&G can best position itself for success going forward. In one of these teams, you will work on a variety of projects analysing both M&G’s current business model and its future strategic opportunities. This could involve reviewing a particular sales channel in light of recent regulatory change, or analysing a potential new geography for the company to enter.
- Institutional Distribution: The Institutional Distribution team comprises the various functions that take M&G’s Institutional products to market. As a graduate rotating through the team, you will work on projects to help M&G progress its presence in the Institutional space. You will be conducting both asset-specific and broader market research to determine the direction of investor demand. This research will ultimately help to inform our Sales and Strategy teams in how and where to best pitch our products.
- Investment Specialists: Investment Specialists are the touchpoint between an investment team and both the rest of the business and clients. As a graduate in this team, you will be supporting the Specialists in managing the messaging of their team’s investment propositions and views. You will create and edit materials for the Specialists to use when giving presentations and responding to client queries on behalf of fund managers. You will also work on strategic projects relating to the development of the fund range to ensure that it is both fit-for-purpose and commercially appealing.
- Front Office Operations: includes all operational roles related to front office functions such as portfolio management and dealing. It can also include roles related to supplier and product management and investment administration.
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for candidates who display a commercial mind-set and show a genuine interest in understanding the drivers of business success. You should have a proactive approach to learning, with the ability to think strategically and critically. Given the nature of this programme, we require individuals who have excellent interpersonal and communication skills. We are looking for candidates from a diverse range of backgrounds and actively recruit candidates from all degree disciplines.
You must possess or have been predicted a 2:1 undergraduate degree or higher from any discipline and have 300 UCAS points or equivalent.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!