Graduate civil & structural engineering scheme
We’re a global engineering, management and development consultancy focused on guiding our clients through many of the planet’s most intricate challenges. By challenging norms, we’re committed to making a positive contribution to the wellbeing of our staff as well as the environment, communities, and market places in which we operate.
About this scheme – is it the right one for you?
A graduate scheme should be more than just job. We know this and so do you. That’s why with this programme, we aim to give you the experience and technical knowledge you need to progress your career.
From the moment you join us, you’ll receive the training you need. You will be assigned a chartered mentor, who will guide you to meet the objectives of your professional training agreement. We’ll support you on your journey to gaining chartered status with your chosen institution such as:
- The Institution of Chartered Engineers (ICE)
- The Institution of Structural Engineers (IStructE)
What else is involved?
With our innovative graduate development portal, you will be able to effectively track and plan your personal and professional development online.
You’ll be enrolled onto the Mott MacDonald Academy, a development programme which runs alongside your professional development scheme. The programme introduces you to key business and commercial competencies, helping you to drive your career forward with us.
We understand that each person’s career goals vary, therefore we tailor make each individual’s development programme to suit them. With our vast library of e-learning courses available to you, you can choose which direction you want your career to go in.
You’re probably wondering what else is on offer.
Join us, and you’ll get:
- Biannual salary reviews: we believe that hard work should be rewarded and recognised. Therefore, for the first three years of your career with us, you’ll have biannual salary reviews.
- A competitive salary: In addition to biannual reviews, we will ensure that you’re given a salary that matches the current industry standard.
- Contributory pension: we have the best people on our team and we like to look out for them. With our support, you’ll have all the advice and options you need to be able to invest in your future.
- A flexible benefits scheme: our company is made up of a range of different people and we understand that different people want different things. That’s why with our flexible plan, you’ll have the ability to manage the range of benefits we have on offer, to suit your specific needs.
- A variety of subsidised sports and social activities: work isn’t just about work. We encourage a healthy work-life balance. Each of our offices have a dedicated and active sports and social team.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate, and take positive steps to create an inclusive culture.
What will you be getting up to?
Now more than ever, our environment and communities need to be made more resilient in the face of climate change. Working on every facet of development, our civil engineers aim to solve this by offering the opportunity to create better cities, reduce poverty and improve health.
Working alongside our experts, you’ll play a part in safeguarding natural resources. Using sustainability as a focus, you’ll be creating economic and social growth for generations to come.
You will have the option to work within the following areas:
- Structures: you’ll play a big part in designing structures which improve local communities within a variety of sectors including buildings, bridges, water, and energy. Using BIM technology, you can work alongside our experts who have provided sustainable design solutions for a variety of high profile projects.
- Infrastructure: you’ll be responsible for a range of elements from, master planning, concept, and feasibility through to full detailed design and supervision on site. Our multi-disciplinary teams design infrastructure which help to support the essential requirements of everyday life, including transportation systems, energy, and water.
- Geotechnics: You’ll have the opportunity to get stuck in with our geotechnical engineers who work on numerical analysis for stability, earth pressures, deformation, and pore pressure distribution. Using their extensive knowledge, they work on applying these into engineering designs.
- Energy: imagine what it would be like to provide civil design support to high profile projects such as the Hinckley Point power station. Well, join us and you’ll be doing just that. Our teams work on a range of large scale projects providing support such as transmission and distribution, power generation, and nuclear power.
- Transport: you’ll be joining a team with over 100 years of experience working in transport, who are the market leaders when it comes to the design of aviation, bridges, roads, rail, LRT, highways, and tunnels.
- Water: join this team of water experts and you’ll work with a number of large water utility groups creating hydraulic models, and designing water supply networks, drainage and flood barriers. Within our water sector we have a joint venture partnership, Mott MacDonald Bentley, which is a unique opportunity for you to gain both design and site experience.
- Marine: it’s an exciting time for our coastal team who are pioneering the use of BIM to design coastal defence schemes. Join our experts and you’ll be involved in the planning, engineering, and construction supervision of all types of port facilities including container terminals and cruise terminals.
“I work in a department which allows some flexibility and is helping me grow as a technical engineer with the necessary management skills; these two skills work in tandem to help my career blossom. I am at the start of my career and currently working towards chartership. I have a dedicated line manager who is helping me through this process as well as the support of my team manager, working together to ensure I can meet the required targets.” Vanessa Burton, graduate engineer
We are looking for flexible and motivated graduates with a genuine passion for civil engineering, and a desire to make a difference in the world. If this describes you, apply today to launch your career at Mott MacDonald.
To apply for this scheme, you will have less than 12 months experience and have achieved a 2:1 or above in one of the following degree disciplines:
- Civil engineering
- Coastal engineering
- Geotechnical engineering
- Engineering science specialising in civil
- Structural engineering
When you apply you will be asked to choose which sectors you are applying for; your sector choices should reflect where you are passionate about starting your future career. You should be able to demonstrate your interest in your chosen sector through relevant experience, such as studying relevant modules, or previous work experience.
We are looking for graduates with the following characteristics:
- Methodical approach to problem solving
- Ability to use your initiative to undertake tasks efficiently and independently.
- Excellent verbal communication skills, which allow you to confidently liaise with clients and team members.
- Excellent written communication and attention to detail, and be able to demonstrate accurate technical drawings and good report writing.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!