2019 UK mechanical engineering scheme
Job description – what will you be getting up to?
Our graduate mechanical engineers are helping to solve new challenges in smart ways. Join these experts and you’ll be part of minimising energy use and cost, while maximising performance and reliability.
Our mechanical engineers play pivotal roles in designing and delivering sustainable solutions. By fine tuning operation while safeguarding resilience and durability, they are constantly working to get the most from existing assets.
You will have the option to work within the following areas:
- Building services: you’ll be joining a team who thrive on helping to create comfortable environments. They do this by focusing on the design of mechanical components for everyday necessities such as heating, ventilation, lighting, fire systems and security.
- Power: imagine what it would be like to be responsible for bringing sustainable energy solutions to both UK and global projects. With our experts, you’ll be doing just that. They work on large scale projects including thermal generation and nuclear power.
- Transport: you’ll have the chance to work on rail and road developments alongside our transport team whose portfolio includes projects such as Crossrail, HS2, and the expansion of Heathrow airport.
- Water: you’ll be working with specialists that have been involved in projects such as the Thames Tideway scheme in London and the Scottish Water development programme. Water is an essential part of our everyday lives, therefore our teams are responsible for water pumping solutions, clean and wastewater treatment plants, and pipelines.
We are looking for flexible and motivated graduates with a genuine passion for mechanical engineering, and a desire to make a difference in the world. If this describes you, apply today to launch your career at Mott MacDonald.
To apply for this scheme, you will have less than 12 months experience and have achieved, or are expected to achieve, a 2.1 or above in one of the following degree disciplines:
- Mechanical engineering
- Building Services engineering
- Aeronautical engineering
When you apply you will be asked to choose which sectors you are applying for; your sector choices should reflect where you are passionate about starting your future career. You should be able to demonstrate your interest in your chosen sector through relevant experience, such as studying relevant modules, or previous work experience.
We are looking for graduates with the following characteristics:
- Methodical approach to problem solving
- Ability to use your initiative to undertake tasks efficiently and independently.
- Excellent verbal communication skills, which allow you to confidently liaise with clients and team members.
- Excellent written communication and attention to detail, and be able to demonstrate accurate technical drawings and good report writing.
We’re a global engineering, management and development consultancy focused on guiding our clients through many of the planet’s most intricate challenges. By challenging norms, we’re committed to making a positive contribution to the wellbeing of our staff as well as the environment, communities, and market places in which we operate.
About this scheme – is it the right one for you?
A graduate scheme should be more than just a job. We know this and so do you. That’s why with this programme, we aim to give you as much experience and technical knowledge you need to progress your career.
From the moment you join us, you’ll receive the training you need. You will be assigned a chartered mentor, who will guide you to meet the objectives of your professional training agreement. We will support you on your journey to gaining chartered status with your chosen institution such as:
- The Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE)
- The Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers (CIBSE)
What else is involved?
With our innovative graduate development portal, you will be able to effectively track and plan your personal and professional development online. You’ll be enrolled onto the Mott MacDonald Academy, a development programme which runs alongside your professional development scheme. The programme introduces you to key business and commercial competencies, helping you to drive your career forward with us. We understand that every person’s career goals are different, therefore we tailor make each individual’s development programme to suit them. With our vast library of e-learning courses available to you, you can choose which direction you want your career to go in.
You’re probably wondering what else is on offer. Join us, and you’ll get:
- Biannual salary reviews: we believe that hard work should be rewarded and recognised. Therefore, for the first three years of your career with us, you’ll have biannual salary reviews.
- A competitive salary: In addition to biannual reviews, we will ensure that you’re given a salary that matches the current industry standard.
- Contributory pension: we have the best people on our team and we like to look out for them. With our support, you’ll have all the advice and options you need to be able to invest in your future.
- A flexible benefits scheme: our company is made up of a range of different people and we understand that different people want different things. That’s why with our flexible plan, you’ll have the ability to manage the range of benefits we have on offer, to suit your specific needs.
- A variety of subsidised sports and social activities: work isn’t just about work. We encourage a healthy work-life balance. Each of our offices have a dedicated and active sports and social team
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate, and take positive steps to create an inclusive culture.