2019 UK Graduate transport planning scheme
Job description – what will you be getting up to?
The key to a successful economy is the development of safe and efficient transport networks. This is where our graduate transport planners come in. In today’s world, we face many global challenges such as global warming and a constantly growing population; we’re passionate about contributing to creating the solutions for these challenges.
Working in both the UK and internationally, we help to create travel plans for governments and organisations such as hospitals, schools, and major companies. We use the latest technology to carry out assessments and to create transport plans and models.
You will have the option to work within the following areas:
- Transport planning: with the guidance and support of our experts, you’ll be working on a variety of transport jobs supporting the delivery of major projects and the design of local improvement teams.
- Transport modelling: you’ll have the opportunity to create models which forecast the use and demand of different transport systems. The satisfying work that our teams do supports aid policy making whilst helping to create an efficient transport system.
- Rail planning: the use of our rail networks is increasing. You’ll be involved in helping to ensure that everything runs as efficiently as possible.
- Traffic engineering: using your civil engineering techniques, you’ll be involved in ensuring the safe and efficient movement of people and goods on roadways.
We are looking for flexible and motivated graduates with a genuine passion for transport, and a desire to make a difference in the world. If this describes you, apply today to launch your career at Mott MacDonald.
To apply for this scheme you will have less than 12 months experience and have achieved, or are expected to achieve, a 2.1 or above in one of the following degree disciplines:
- Transport or planning related degree
- Civil engineering
When you apply you will be asked to choose which areas of transport planning you are applying for. These choices should reflect where you are passionate about starting your future career. Ideally you will be able to demonstrate your interest through relevant experience, such as studying relevant modules, or previous work experience.
We are looking for graduates with the following characteristics:
- Methodical approach to problem solving
- Ability to use your initiative to undertake tasks efficiently and independently.
- Excellent verbal communication skills, which allow you to confidently liaise with clients and team members.
- Excellent written communication and attention to detail, and be able to demonstrate good report writing.
We’re a global engineering, management and development consultancy focused on guiding our clients through many of the planet’s most intricate challenges. By challenging norms, we’re committed to making a positive contribution to the wellbeing of our staff as well as the environment, communities, and market places in which we operate.
About this scheme – is it the right one for you?
A graduate scheme should be more than just a job. We know this and so do you. That’s why with this programme, we aim to give you the experience and technical knowledge you need to progress your career.
From the moment you join us, you’ll receive the training you need. You will be assigned a chartered mentor, who will guide you to meet the objectives of your professional training agreement. We’ll support you on your journey to gaining chartered status with your chosen institution such as:
- The Chartered Institution of Highways and Transportation (CIHT)
- The Institution of Chartered Engineers (ICE)
- Our customised training programme, designed in conjunction with the Institute of Rail Operators (IRO).
What else is involved?
With our innovative graduate development portal, you will be able to effectively track and plan your personal and professional development online. You’ll be enrolled onto the Mott MacDonald Academy, a development programme which runs alongside your professional development scheme. The programme introduces you to key business and commercial competencies, helping you to drive your career forward with us.
We understand that every person’s career goals are different, therefore we tailor make each individual’s development programme to suit them. With our vast library of e-learning courses available to you, you can choose which direction you want your career to go in.
You’re probably wondering what else is on offer. Join us, and you’ll get:
- Biannual salary reviews: we believe that hard work should be rewarded and recognised. Therefore, for the first three years of your career with us, you’ll have biannual salary reviews.
- A competitive salary: In addition to biannual reviews, we will ensure that you’re given a salary that matches the current industry standard.
- Contributory pension: we have the best people on our team and we like to look out for them. With our support, you’ll have all the advice and options you need to be able to invest in your future.
- A flexible benefits scheme: our company is made up of a range of different people and we understand that different people want different things. That’s why with our flexible plan, you’ll have the ability to manage the range of benefits we have on offer, to suit your specific needs.
- A variety of subsidised sports and social activities: work isn’t just about work. We encourage a healthy work-life balance. Each of our offices have a dedicated and active sports and social team.
- We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate, and take positive steps to create an inclusive culture.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate, and take positive steps to create an inclusive culture.