Engineering Leadership Programme - Internship
Location: This role will be based in one of our three sub-regional centers; Newbury, UK, Kista, Sweden and Woerden, Netherlands.
Reporting: This role reports into the Applications Engineering Manager
For 40 years, National Instruments (NI) has worked with engineers and scientists to measure and control the world around us. Through these pursuits, NI customers have brought hundreds of thousands of products to market, overcome innumerable technological roadblocks, and engineered a better life for us all. If you can turn it on, connect it, drive it, or launch it, chances are NI technology helped make it happen.
Our platform based approach; unified software and modular hardware, greatly reduces the complexity of today’s smart, connected systems and helps engineers do more, innovate faster and easily integrate new technologies as they become available. Our customer base of over 35,000 global companies is testament to the fact that NI helps scientists and engineers solve their greatest challenges.
The Engineering Leadership Programme (ELP) Internship is an opportunity for undergraduate students to experience 12 months in a work environment designed to challenge them and help integrate them into a full time position. Placement students joining National Instruments will provide high quality technical support, via telephone, e-mail and forums to our customers in Northern Europe alongside their full time colleagues. Besides strong technical skills, the ELP Intern must possess a high degree of tact, diplomacy, influence, consultative and communication skills. You will be provided with 6 weeks initial training to help you become technically proficient on the National Instruments core product lines, including LabVIEW, DAQ, LabVIEW Real Time and FPGA and provide competent and accurate support to National Instruments mainstream customer base. Our commitment to Superior Employee Development ensures that all Internship students receive a high level of training in a variety of methods including formal training, self-paced training and project work.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The duties and responsibilities of this position may include, but are not limited to interacting directly with customers to educate, train, inform, advise and consult on their application needs using National Instruments’ line of core products and services by:
- Providing timely, accurate and conclusive solutions to technical problems on all core product lines.
- Provide guidance on the installation of both software and hardware, including explanations of configuration settings.
- Assistance in establishing the basic working functionality of National Instruments hardware.
- Reproduction and troubleshooting of problems and incompatibilities.
- Keeping accurate records of all enquiries and listening for, identifying, and communicating customer needs and requirements that our products do not currently provide, as well as features and functions of the competitive products, to the marketing team.
- Delivery of technical presentations and demonstrations to prospects, colleagues and partners.
- Work to learn the National Instruments product range through self-development and further study
Other ad-hoc duties and responsibilities maybe assigned dependant on sub-regional requirements or as business needs change.
The Ideal candidate will exhibit the following:
Knowledge & Experience:
- On track to achieve a minimum 2.2 bachelor’s degree in engineering or science related field, such as electronic engineering, physics or mechatronics or similar
- Technical aptitude and a thorough understanding of electronics and high-level programming languages
- Strong customer focus and problem solving to analyse the problem and think creatively to provide a solution.
- Able to identify issues, problems and opportunities and choose appropriate actions
- Legal right to live and work within the EU
- Must hold a full valid, EU driving licence
- Fluent business English
- Experience in instrumentation and control, industrial automation
- Second language in one of the languages we support our customers in (French, Swedish, Dutch, Danish, Norwegian and Finnish)
- Excellent written, oral and presentation skills are key
- A proactive/ can do attitude is vital
- Must be able to handle multiple tasks
- Must enjoy working with people and contribute to the team success as well as working tenaciously in order to meet or exceed personal goals
- Willing to put self in unfamiliar situations in order to learn and identify new areas of learning
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!