Technical Development Programme
Do you like solving problems? Do you want to make a difference? Are you passionate about leading edge technology?
If you’ve said yes to the above then this may be the scheme for you!
Start date: September 2017
We’re investing more than ever in the future pipeline of technical specialists, so we can keep Nationwide at the forefront of innovative leading edge technology.
Successful applicants will be offered a permanent contract, a starting salary of £28,000 a year, plus an annual bonus based on performance.
You could be based in any of our administration centres in Swindon, Bournemouth or Northampton so don’t worry, we can help with relocation.
During the programme you may even get the chance to work with our global high tech partners across the UK and in India.
So if you’ve thought about working in the financial services, why not apply to be part of Nationwide.
Who we're looking for
It’s essential that great customer outcomes are at the forefront of all our employees’ minds.
For this particular placement, you’ll also need to be technically orientated, passionate about change, and excel at keeping things on track.
What’s more, we think your enthusiasm and personality is just as important as your academic achievements.
As a minimum requirement you’ll need to:
- Already have or be on track to gain a 2.1 degree from a pre-dominantly Maths, Economics, Engineering, Information Management or Science discipline.
- Hold 280 UCAS points excluding General Studies, or equivalent work experience. If your degree isn’t listed above but you’ve completed these subjects at A-level, you’ll still be considered
- Have strong interpersonal skills
- Be passionate and determined to grow, develop and learn
- Have the ability to see potential improvements and confident to put suggestions forward
- Have commercial acumen and the ability to assess risk
If you have a 2.2 degree or you aren't a graduate, please apply.
We’ll consider it a bonus if:
- You also have experience building and maintaining relationships at a variety of levels
- A background in science, technology or Maths (STEM).
What you'll be doing
As part of the programme you’ll be developing technical knowledge specific to your division and business area.
We’ll offer you a first-hand view on how the parts of our business work together, providing great personal development as well as professional qualifications. We’ll give you a breadth of experience early in your career to help you reach your full potential and build your technical experience.
You could be based in a range of areas including-
Architecture (typically 2-3 years)
You could be working on any project across the entire portfolio helping our Solution Architects define the best IT or business outline solutions, or at times supporting the day to day running of the practice. This role would ideally suit someone who enjoys looking at the bigger picture, can explain complex ideas simply and wants to hone their stakeholder management and influencing skills.
Technical Design Practice (typically 2 years)
You’ll be involved with turning business requirements and outline architects into practical and ‘fit for purpose’ technical solutions, providing guidance to our suppliers, and technical assurance of the development (working with an on-shore/off-shore model). This will increase your technical, application and system knowledge.
Infrastructure Development (typically 2 – 3 years)
Infrastructure is at the heart of any organisations IT function (as a comparison think of a chassis, running gear and engine on a formula 1 car). You’ll be involved in delivering the Infrastructure Technical Solutions for Nationwide projects. You could be working on any of a wide range of technologies varying from those already well established to new state of art solutions across the whole IT Infrastructure spectrum. This is a fast paced, dynamic and exciting area to work in where the rewards and potential career progression are second to none.
Group Security (typically 2-3 years)
Nationwide is currently going through a period of dynamic change, introducing new and cutting-edge solutions to enable our customers to interact with us in the digital age. Group Security offers an exciting opportunity for enthusiastic individuals to gain experience in supporting our colleagues securely through this change.
You’ll work with teams across group Security supporting project design assurance, identification & management of threats & vulnerabilities, ensuring the security of our information, as well as detecting and responding to suspicious network activity as part of our Secure Operations.
Other Technical areas of the business are joining the programme all the time.
To help you meet your potential we’ll:
- Give you a real job from day 1
- Give you exposure to senior business leaders through mentoring relationships, and their sponsorship of the programme
- Get you involved with real business projects with stretching goals
- Increase your business acumen, including commercial and strategic awareness
- Further develop your core skills, such as communication, presentation and influencing
- Allow you to put the theory into practice, applying everything you learn to real-world business issues
- Provide you with professional qualifications
- Offer you the experience of working closely with our partners across the UK & India
The extras you'll get
- If you put a lot in, it’s only fair you should get a lot out.
- If you help us do the right thing for our customers, we’ll help further your career at Nationwide.
- As well as a competitive salary, there’s also life assurance, a pension, healthcare and an annual bonus based on performance.
Why work for us
At Nationwide we’re here for our members and we put their needs first in everything we do. And now, more than ever, two things are helping us go from strength to strength: we put our customers first, and we’re known for being open, honest and trustworthy.
We’re also the best bank/building society to work for in the UK; that places us as 3rd in Best Companies’ Best Big Company to work for list.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!