IT & Business Services year in industry placement
A career as bright and unique as you are - Standout graduate opportunities with Network Rail
Our vision is a better railway for a better Britain
We aim to deliver a railway that is safer, more reliable and more efficient than ever before, to help build a thriving, sustainable economy.
Britain’s railway does more than transport passengers and goods. It brings people and businesses closer together, which creates new jobs, opens up new markets and stimulates economic growth. We want to provide the best possible service to everyone who relies on the railway – passengers, train operating companies and businesses nationwide. Rail is vital to Britain's future.
More to us than meets the eye
There’s more to our organisation than you might have imagined. Although rail is a huge part of our business, we’re also one of the largest land and property owners in the UK. We manage a huge property portfolio that includes 18 of the biggest stations in Britain, the retail outlets inside them, and the small businesses that live under their arches. Sales at some of our stations have even been outperforming the high street.
We’re also behind some of the biggest, most innovative projects in the country – from the world’s largest solar bridge at Blackfriars through to electrification and HS2. Pioneers in advanced technology, our technical team invented the use of HD cameras to identify track wear-and-tear more efficiently. We’re also responsible for the 17,000km-long fibre optic network that powers our trackside signals, telephones and electrical systems. We do all this whilst maintaining safety as our number one priority.
Our rail network is the fastest growing and safest in Europe. But we still have work to do to create a railway fit for 21st century Britain. We’re investing more than £47bn in developing our infrastructure so that we can deliver more services and better journeys. This is the largest programme of sustained investment in the railway that Britain has ever seen, presenting an abundance of opportunities for ambitious and enthusiastic people like you to make an impact.
If you’re self-motivated, comfortable with change and unfazed by challenges, our IT and Business year in industry programme might be for you.
Back that up with plenty of drive, energy and passion, and you’ll be able to influence where we go next as well as exploring all sorts of new opportunities for your career.
- You’re passionate about IT and want to gain hands on experience. You have strong attention to detail and enjoy getting into the nitty gritty of analysing data. You enjoy working as part of an innovative team and have a flair for problem solving, often coming up with creative solutions. You are confident presenting your ideas to others using your first class communication skills.
- You’ll be based within a team in the information technology department, liaising with colleagues across the organisation on a daily basis. You could be implementing cutting-edge, innovative technologies and applications like digital railway traffic management and accident prevention, or playing a leading role in the delivery of a significant business change initiative.
- You can expect to gain a depth of experience and a variety of challenging situations within the team in which you are placed. Typical responsibilities include supporting special projects for senior leaders, preparing and delivering internal presentations or reports, and reactive work managing risks and issues. You may also be required to lead small project teams.
We’re looking to invest in graduates who are committed to making a difference, to help transform Britain's rail infrastructure, transport network and economy for the 22nd century.
- You’ll be dedicated, enthusiastic and focussed on fulfilling your potential as a leader of the future. With bags of initiative, you’ll go out of your way to discover new challenges and find out more about our organisation.
- You’ll take responsibility for your own personal growth and development, seeking out opportunities to learn and build your own career path.
- You approach your work with a steely determination and prioritise safety at all times.
- You’re a good listener and enjoy learning from others. You’re not afraid to speak up, ask questions and share your own creative ideas.
- You’re ambitious, driven and like to push yourself outside your comfort zone, yet always remain calm under pressure.
- You must be in your penultimate year and be on course to achieve at least a 2:2 in any degree discipline.
We’re looking for people with plenty of drive, who are comfortable with change and who enjoy having autonomy. If that sounds like you, you’ll be able to shape your own career just as much as you’ll be able to help shape our future.