Software Development Graduate
The Betfair Exchange
A betting exchange allows gamblers to bet against each other rather than against a bookmaker. This differentiates them from traditional betting shops and bookmakers as the betting exchange allows the user to act as the bookie (by setting the odds for an event) or the customer (who bets using the odds set by the other user).
Whereas traditional bookmakers accept the risk of going head-to-head in various bets with gamblers, the business of a betting exchange does not involve any risk. The exchange simply provides the technology that pairs gamblers together in order for bets to take place, and takes a commission from the net winnings that result.
Here, within the Exchange Platform Development Team we are responsible for developing, maintaining, and supporting Betfair’s core Exchange services and capabilities. We are passionate about problem solving and use the latest cutting edge technology to stay ahead of the game and open new commercial opportunities. Our APIs handle more than 2 billion calls per day on top of sending over 2 TB of data over our stream API, the scale of our technology stack is huge so if you are looking for a challenge this is the right place for you!
We are seeking java and technology enthusiasts for a fast-track development programme at Betfair. The successful applicants will join our Exchange Platform Development team as part of this two-year graduate programme. During this time you will be able to take advantage of technical mentors, and will be able to rotate within the different teams that make up the Exchange department. You will work alongside Java Developers, QA Engineers, Delivery Managers, and Product Owners. You may also have the opportunity to work in our technology centres in Portugal and Romania.
You will be expected to pick up development skills such as test driven development, object oriented design and Agile delivery methods. Upon successful completion of the programme you will be furnished with the skills and knowledge to be a future leader of Sports Technology.
- Gathering and refining requirements from stakeholders
- Designing software that satisfies requirements, both business and architectural
- Implementing Java software to an agreed design
- Testing Java software to ensure a high degree of quality
- Maintaining Java software (implementing changes in accordance with new or amended requirements)
- Providing advice and troubleshooting support to front-line Betfair Support Teams when required
Key Skills and Attributes
- Excellent technical and problem solving skills
- Desire to learn new skills, gain knowledge and innovate
- Ability to back decisions with sound rationale
- A strong sense of good practice with respect to development techniques
- A capacity to review and be reviewed constructively
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Self-motivating, adaptable and flexible in approach
- Key Knowledge and Experience
- In depth knowledge of Core Java
- Excellent team working skills and stakeholder management
Do you have what it takes?
- To have achieved or be on course for a minimum of a 2.1 in your degree
- A minimum of 450 points on your Leaving Certificate (or equivalent)
- A minimum of 260 UCAS Tariff points (or equivalent)
- The ambition to succeed in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment
- The motivation for career progression
- The flexibility to work well in teams and on your own
- Excellent communication skills
- A high record of achievement and delivery
Experience in the following is a bonus
- Knowledge of OO design patterns, multi-threading, asynchronous paradigms and distributed systems design
- Messaging technologies
- Various client-server protocols: SOAP, RMI, XML/RPC, REST
- Experience with JDBC, SQL, PL/SQL, Spring
- Application of Agile or Lean methodologies to improve efficiency and quality in software delivery
- Good understanding of software architecture; understanding component and application breakdown and interaction
- Experience of source code control across multiple work streams
- Distributed caching technologies
- Gaming or Financial industry knowledge
- Performance tools and analysis for Java application
Start Date: The Programme will commence in September 2019
Paddy Power Betfair is an equal opportunity employer and supports workforce diversity.
By submitting your application online, you agree that: your details will be used to progress your application for employment. If your application is successful, your details will be used to administer your HR record. If your application is unsuccessful, we will retain your details for a period no longer than two years, in order to consider you for prospective Paddy Power Betfair roles.