Risk Graduate Programme
If you’re interested in the world of finance, and enjoy thinking strategically and challenging assumptions, then this could be the perfect place to start your career.
On our Risk pathway, you’ll discover how risk is managed across our business, and help us to embed controls that are robust and responsive to change.
Your integrity and inquisitive mind-set will be crucial when it comes to providing the assurance and challenge that will keep our business secure and our customers safe.
About the programme
The aim of this two year programme is to equip you with the skills and experiences you’ll need to become a leading risk management professional.
It’s crucial that we understand the risks we face and manage them responsibly. As a Graduate trainee you’ll learn how we do this through our three lines of defence model, and gain experience in areas like credit and operational risk, stress testing, compliance and regulatory affairs. You’ll be putting our core values into practice, and working with others to shape a robust and proactive culture of risk management.
You’ll be rewarded with a starting salary of £31,850. On top of your salary you’ll also have access to our flexible benefits package.
After a full induction, the programme is structured around four, six month rotations, each based in different areas of Risk. Throughout, the focus will be on promoting the spirit of challenge and intellectual curiosity, which will be crucial to your development as a future risk management expert.
Over the course of the programme, you can look forward to:
- Helping us to shape risk appetite and policies right across our business
- Building your understanding of how to identify, analyse and report on risk
- Delving into the world of credit risk and financial modelling
- Supporting on change and restructure projects
- Building excellent advisory and stakeholder management skills
- Developing the confidence and influencing skills to raise ideas and challenge the status quo
- Working towards a professional qualification, such as FRM, CFA, Chartered Banker, or ICA
At the end of the two years, we hope to see you join us in a permanent role. We’ll be supporting your career development throughout, but particularly during your last rotation we’ll focus on what roles you could step into next.
This programme would be excellent preparation for a whole range of career paths, and some of the possible next roles to move into would include:
- Conduct & Compliance Advisor
- Operational Risk Manager
- Credit Risk Analyst
- Financial Models Analyst
We pride ourselves on the professional support we offer our graduates, and the friendly, down to earth community our graduates have shaped themselves.
Before you start, you’ll be paired with a ‘buddy’ (a graduate already on the programme) who’ll be there to help you get settled, answer any questions, and share their experiences.
You’ll also be assigned a Graduate Coach and a Placement Manager. Your Graduate Coach will be there to provide support throughout the programme, and will work with you to create a personal Capability Plan; your Placement Manager will provide rotation specific support, and will change with each placement. Together, they’ll help you reflect on your progress, develop your career, and build your professional network.
You’ll need to be on course for, or already have achieved, a 2:1 in your degree.
We’re a varied function, and you don’t need to be studying a particular subject to succeed here. But we will be looking out for people who can demonstrate:
- An inquisitive and independent mind-set, with the desire to bring new ideas forward
- Strong analytic and problem solving skills
- The ability to build great working relationships and give professional challenge
- A meticulous eye for detail and a good sense of judgement
- The ability to learn quickly and adapt to new challenges
If you’re interested in the changing world of finance and how it’s regulated and controlled, this would be an excellent programme to apply to.