Finance Graduate Programme
Starting your career with Finance will give you a unique opportunity to quickly gain experience and insight into the financial services industry, its products and its operations – giving you valuable insight into how we manage risk across our business.
Finance ties together all the financial activity across RBS through exceptional analysis, insight and reporting – it’s our job to manage the bank’s balance sheet, report on our financial performance and to make sure we’re making the right decisions for our customers.
Our customers expect their money to be well managed. We provide the right information to help our colleagues make clear decisions about customers, costs and capital so we’re developing the right long-term financial strategy.
About the programme
During this three year programme you’ll develop a deep understanding of how the bank is run, while completing an industry recognised qualification. There will be a requirement to complete at least one rotation in an alternative location, i.e. London graduates will spend at least one rotation in Edinburgh and vice versa.
As a Graduate trainee you’ll gain up to date knowledge when it comes to the impact of the changing financial services environment, and relevant changes for the bank. You’ll develop an equally diverse set of skills. From preparing key documentation for regulatory or management reporting, to providing your financial or commercial insight to business executives, we want you to bring your fresh approach and enthusiasm to the table.
You’ll be rewarded with a starting salary of £30,700. On top of your salary you’ll also have access to our flexible benefits package.
After a full induction, you’ll begin your placement based in Finance. Over the three years in this programme you’ll develop your knowledge and experience and expect to:
- Gain a Chartered Accountancy qualification
- Build thorough knowledge of the Finance functions service offerings delivered through control, expertise, advisory and transactional services
- Develop an understanding of our core activities:
- Manage the bank's balance sheet to make sure we have the capital we need to operate every day
- Report on the bank's performance, providing an accurate picture of our financial position
- Achieve our business goals in a sustainable, profitable way, developing the right long-term financial strategy
- Understand our customers’ needs to make the right decisions
- Help our customer franchises to serve their customers well whilst remaining cost efficient
- Provide a consistent service, as one, functionalised Finance team
- Develop excellent relationship management skills, honed by managing multiple stakeholders from a range of different businesses
At the end of the three years, we hope to see you join us in a permanent role.
As your experience grows, you’ll be developing the skills that could lead you into roles including:
- Specialist roles in Treasury, Strategy and Corporate Development
- Managerial roles in Financial Control
- Business Partner roles in our customer facing businesses
We pride ourselves on the professional support we offer our graduates, and the friendly, down to earth community our graduates have shaped themselves.
Before you start, you’ll be paired with a ‘buddy’ (a graduate already on the programme) who’ll be there to help you get settled, answer any questions, and share their experiences.
You’ll also be assigned a Graduate Coach who will be there to provide you with support throughout the programme, and will work with you to create a personal Capability Plan. Your Graduate Coach will help you to reflect on your progress, develop your career, and build your professional network.
To be eligible for our Finance programme, you’ll need to possess, or be on course to achieving a 2:1 in your degree.
We’re looking for people who are analytical thinkers, able to overcome a range of challenges. You’ll have first class communication skills both written and verbal, and the interpersonal skills to negotiate and challenge as appropriate.
You’ll also have real initiative and resourcefulness when it comes to your work, with a meticulous approach to problem solving and attention to detail.
Starting your career with Finance will give you a unique opportunity to quickly gain experience and insight into the financial services industry, its products and operations. You’ll also interact with and learn from respected industry leaders.