Internal Audit Graduate Programme
Starting your career with Internal Audit will give you a unique opportunity to quickly gain experience and insight into the financial services industry, its products and its operations. You’ll also interact with and learn from respected industry leaders.
Internal Audit is an independent area of our organisation, integral to us meeting our ambitions, and protecting the interests of our customers. We provide assurance by calling out risks, asking the tough questions, and challenging where we need to.
We ensure effective controls are always in place to manage our risks, keeping the bank and our customers safe.
About the programme
During this three year programme you’ll develop a deep understanding of how the bank is run, while completing your accountancy qualification.
As a Graduate trainee you’ll gain up to date knowledge when it comes to the impact of the changing financial services environment, and relevant changes for the bank. You’ll also be working with our business stakeholders to support them in effectively managing risks in their business areas. You’ll be able to rotate and spend up to nine months on placement with a different team within Internal Audit, giving you a breadth of experience and knowledge on how different areas of the bank operate.
You’ll be rewarded with a starting salary of £31,850. On top of your salary you’ll also have access to our flexible benefits package.
After a full induction, you’ll begin your placement based in Internal Audit. This programme will develop your knowledge and experience in risk management, project management and sharpen your interpersonal skills.
Over the three years, you can expect to:
- Gain a Chartered Accountancy qualification
- Develop an understanding of how different parts of the bank operate from ‘front to back’
- Build thorough knowledge of the business risk environment and the controls used to mitigate those risks
- Develop excellent relationship management skills, honed by managing multiple stakeholders from a range of different businesses
- Spend nine month on rotation to another team within the wider function
- Help your stakeholders improve their risk and control frameworks
- Contribute to delivering the audit plan, providing assurance to the bank’s audit committee
- Support continuous risk monitoring and help to evolve the control framework
At the end of the three years, we hope to see you join us in a permanent role.
As your experience grows, you’ll be developing the skills that could lead you into roles including:
- Senior Auditor, Audit Manager and Senior Audit Manager
- Managerial roles in Risk and Control functions
- Control roles within our front-line business
We pride ourselves on the professional support we offer our graduates, and the friendly, down to earth community our graduates have shaped themselves.
Before you start, you’ll be paired with a ‘buddy’ (a graduate already on the programme) who’ll be there to help you get settled, answer any questions, and share their experiences.
You’ll also be assigned a Graduate Coach. Your Graduate Coach will be there to provide support throughout the programme, and will work with you to create a personal Capability Plan. They’ll help you reflect on your progress, develop your career, and build your professional network.
To be eligible for our Internal Audit programme, you’ll need to possess, or be on course to achieving a 2:1 in your degree.
We’re looking for people who are analytical thinkers, able to overcome a range of challenges. You’ll have first class communication skills both written and verbal, and the interpersonal skills to negotiate and challenge as appropriate.
You’ll also have real initiative and resourcefulness when it comes to your work, with a meticulous approach to problem solving and attention to detail.