Graduate Systems Engineer
This is an exciting opportunity for a graduate who want to work across a range of technologies and at 3rd line support level. As Graduate Systems Engineer you will be part of a technical team, responsible for the 24/7 monitoring and management of RM’s Internet Hosting Group (IHG) core services, WAN Centres and regional services located throughout the UK. As part of the IHG Network Operations Centre team you will be responsible for supporting, maintaining and monitoring a range of IHG products and services including broadband connections, web filtering, e-mail, DNS and several other hosted environments which include a wide variety of server and network related infrastructure.
RM’s ISP Core Network provides internet connectivity to over 1 million users in schools and colleges around the UK and as an Internet Service Provider (ISP) we are comparable in our scale of operations to a number of the smaller consumer ISPs.
You will have the opportunity to work closely with Support, Development and Design teams to constantly evolve and improve the products and services we provide. Working with Cisco/Juniper, Windows, Linux, storage area networks (SANs) and VMWare technologies, amongst many others, you will be encouraged to develop your technical skills while resolving customer facing issues and implementing infrastructure improvement projects.
As a graduate engineer you will have a training plan, which involves working with three core operational areas of IHG before joining the IHG NOC team full-time.
- Provide support for all of IHG’s range of Internet products through Cisco/Juniper routers and switches, firewalls and security devices, MS Windows Server, Linux, VMWare, Cisco firewalls, Storage Area Networks, Commvault, DNS and other related technologies
- Provide direct support to customers resolving escalated 3rd line level support issues
- Provide On-Call out of hours services on a shift rota basis (1 night in every 2 weeks) to support all IHG Systems
- Provide escalation and resolution services for IHG Support and other RM technical teams as required
- Visiting our customers to implement new hosting solutions, work with development engineers to develop new solutions
Skills & experience
We're looking for applicants with a minimum of 260 UCAS points, who are on track to achieve a 2.1 degree or higher in Computer Science, Maths, Physics or a related discipline, with a demonstrable passion for technology.
In addition you will have:
- Strong problem solving skills, with an inquisitive and creative approach
- Excellent written and verbal communication, strong active listening skills and the ability to build strong relationships with and influence colleagues and customers
- Highly customer focused with an empathetic and customer-centric approach
- Sound planning & organisational skills to handle the workload and to prioritise activities across the group of customers in a dynamic work environment
- Improvement focus and good decision making ability
Our comprehensive benefits package includes 25 days’ annual leave (with the option to buy an extra 5 days), a performance related bonus scheme, and a group personal pension.
Why you should consider this role
You will have real responsibility in your day job from Day 1. You will join RM's graduate development programme which is designed to develop you into a well-rounded professional. You will be empowered to create your career development plan and make educated decisions regarding your next steps at RM. Our graduates make a very significant and visible impact from the beginning and benefit from strong career progression opportunities in a successful organisation that makes a positive contribution to the teaching and learning of millions of young people.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!