Engineering Graduate Scheme
This graduate scheme is accredited by the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) and the Institution of Mechanical Engineering (IMechE). It provides graduates with a sound understanding of the technical, practical and soft skills needed to be an engineer of the future. The programme contains a blend of technical and practical skills training. You will also develop the competencies to work on projects at some of the UK's leading power stations. Our graduates are mentored throughout the programme by experienced power industry professional engineers to help them gain professional registration to IEng or CEng. This is with a view of entering a role within the business at one of our sites around the country.
In this two year development programme, you will receive a broad base of technical and behavioural training, interwoven with a range of engineering placements.
Years 1 and 2 Training
- Specialist Technical Skills Courses
- CMI Diploma in Team Leading
- IOSH Managing Safely
- Environmental & Chemistry Skills Courses
Engineers are critical to a power generation business. During the scheme your contribution will be required on key engineering projects in a variety of engineering functions, previous graduates have attended placements such as:
- Power Station Operations (****could we do these as accordians) - A shift cycle in the Control Room of a 2100MW CCGT power station, optimising the thermal efficiency of a forced draft, hybrid cooling tower
- Critical routine maintenance planning on a new Bio-mass fired boiler
- Power Station Maintenance Shutdown - Management of Non Destructive Testing activities on an HRSG 4 yearly pressure parts inspection or day-day management of a contractor on a multi-million
- pound maintenance activity
- Power Station Engineering Support - Placements in an internationally recognised Centre of Engineering Excellence, for example a pressure system life extension creep life analysis in Steam Raising Engineering, a Gas Turbine boroscope inspection in Turbine Engineering or a Safety Critical System plant modification evaluation in Electrical Control & Instrumentation
- Commercial - Supporting a Thermal Performance Test on a 500MW Coal Fired Unit to evaluate the optimum time to take a CCGT Power Station maintenance shutdown with our Performance and Commercial Team.
Depending on your progress, you may have the opportunity to further your academic or management studies.
Upon successful completion of your programme you will be able to apply for a position as an engineer in our Engineering Department in Swindon, Generation Maintenance and Support Department at Ferrybridge, or at one of our power stations around the country.
Who we are Looking for
We recruit our graduates with a view to entering a substantive role within our business. For this year’s scheme we are looking to recruit the following:
- Graduates with a Control and Instrumentation Engineering degree to be based at our Aberthaw site.
- Graduates with an Electrical Engineering degree, preferably with C&I modules to be based at our Little Barford site.
- Graduates with a Mechanical Engineering degree to be based at our Staythorpe site.
- Graduates with a Mechanical Engineering degree to be based at our Swindon site.
- Graduates with a Computer Science degree also to be based at our Swindon site*
*This position is for the Information Engineering role in Swindon, The role of the Graduate is primarily to provide support and advice to key users and stakeholders in the business, championing best practice and contributing to the continuous development of the products in the Information Engineering portfolio. Initially you would be involved in supporting projects to enhance and develop applications and systems, within the Information Engineering team, supporting the Power Station fleet and wider Generation business.
Your base location will be where you start and finish at, but during the two year programme you’ll complete different placements across a number of our locations all over the UK.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!