Industrial Chemist Project Graduate - Apple Oils Ltd
We are Apple Oils Ltd, a waste oil management and hazardous waste company based in the east end of Glasgow. To help us deliver on our current growth plans, we are looking to hire a talented and highly committed chemistry graduate to work with us on a key project to move our waste management licence to a PPC licence under the Industrial Emissions Directive. Once in place, this will provide sustainable expansion opportunities for the business. This is a 12-month placement initially, with a view to a permanent role, following successful project completion.
As part of our growth ambitions for 2019, we are looking to obtain PPC permit under Industrial Emissions Directive protocol (IEDP). Once we have the license, it will enable us to grow our operations more quickly and take advantage of more opportunities within hazardous waste and mineral oil processing. It is expected that this growth will be both domestic UK and international in nature.
A key element of achieving this licence will be the creation and operation of an industrial laboratory within our existing facility in Glasgow. Once in place, it will allow for better recording and inspection of products pre-delivery and production to ensure the highest verification of quality. We require to formalise the processes involved in verifying both the quality of materials received
The quality of product produced is central to maintaining the good name the good name that we have built in the sector.
You will play a key role in the growth plans for our business by helping us to liaise with SEPA, our management team and environmental consultants during the PPC licence application process.
In addition, you will lead on the creation of procedural documents for the safe handling of waste as well as maintaining the on-site laboratory.
Main tasks and responsibilities:
- Accept all collected product at the site ensuring legal and other compliance
- Accurate and up to date data collection and recording for the purposes of stock control
- Have responsibility for the safe and legal bulking of waste for storage and/or transportation liaise and oversee the operations of subcontractors and service providers as necessary
- Sampling and testing water in accordance with the PPC Permit Qualifications
- Carrying out initial assessments of product (often hazardous waste) acceptability in terms of storage and/or transportation
- Carrying out and performing product inspection and verification Collecting samples and submitting to analytical laboratory
- Accurate and up-to-date data collection and recording for the purposes of stock control
- Ensure all product is handled correctly in accordance with Company procedures and legislative requirements
Degree qualified in appropriate chemistry related qualification would be ideal for the role
Skills / Experience
- Lab experience
- Chemical analysis skills
- Process development experience
- Product validation skills
- Outstanding communication skills
- Can operate effectively with no input from others
- Outstanding self-management skills
- IT literate
- Previous experience of a similar role, either during or post-study
As part of your ScotGrad placement, you will be able to participate in a couple of training courses mainly online, and one classroom based. The courses are themed around environmental management and quality standards and will provide you with knowledge and skills which will enhance your current and future skills.
ScotGrad placements also offer a unique opportunity to connect with a vast network of graduates and ScotGrad alumni. All graduates appointed through the programme are encouraged to make use of the ScotGrad LinkedIn group to communicate with other ScotGrad participants, learn about any professional development opportunities and build up a professional network.
Apple Oils Ltd is a Waste Oil Management and Biodiesel Company based in Glasgow, Scotland.
As the company grows the quality of our services increases and we are at an important stage in our future growth plans.
We are dedicated to helping the environment by providing high-quality waste oil management services as well as the creation and supply of biodiesel.