Graduate Software Developer
Working directly with the Managing Director, the successful graduate will be a key team member within our innovation-driven software development team. During this 12 month placement you will work with a broad range of people and put your skills to the test in a fast-paced and diverse arena, given accountability from day one. This is a fantastic opportunity to learn a great deal from expert technologists across our broad network of collaborative projects around Europe. As we are a small business we offer lots of flexibility with plenty of room for career growth and aspirations, and this placement may be made permanent.
Horizon 2020 is the biggest Research and Innovation programme ever with nearly €80 billion of funding available over 7 years (2014 to 2020) – in addition to the private investment that this money will attract. It promises more breakthroughs, discoveries and world-firsts by taking great ideas from the lab to the market.
Horizon 2020 is the financial instrument implementing the Innovation Union, a Europe 2020flagship initiative aimed at securing Europe's global competitiveness.
Seen as a means to drive economic growth and create jobs, Horizon 2020 has the political backing of Europe’s leaders and the Members of the European Parliament. They agreed that research is an investment in our future.
By coupling research and innovation, Horizon 2020 is helping to achieve this with its emphasis on excellent science, industrial leadership and tackling societal challenges. The goal is to ensure Europe produces world-class science, removes barriers to innovation and makes it easier for the public and private sectors to work together in delivering innovation.
Horizon 2020 is open to everyone, with a simple structure that reduces red tape and time so participants can focus on what is really important. This approach makes sure new projects get off the ground quickly – and achieve results faster.
The EU Framework Programme for Research and Innovation will be complemented by further measures to complete and further develop the European Research Area. These measures will aim at breaking down barriers to create a genuine single market for knowledge, research and innovation.
FlexiOPS are involved with three H2020 projects; DICE, ENTICE and BEACON.
You should have the ability to build strong relationships, friendly personality, good team working skills, ability to quickly learn new skills and communicate effectively.
The main aspects of the role are to:
- Undertake coding in object oriented languages including Java and Python to aid interoperability between a cloud software stack and project developments
- Allow 3rd party tools to communicate effectively to our cloud software via SOAP API, RESTful interface and programmable plug-ins
- Understand and translate technical and business requirements from projects into applications
- Take responsibility for delivering against identified project activities, work packages and written deliverables.
- Travel to a range of locations across Europe to align collaboration efforts with some of our European partners during critical elements of our projects
You’ll ideally have at least a 2:1 (or equivalent) in a computer science type degree.
Skills / Experience
This role would suit a very talented university leaver who has plenty of hands-on experience programming. Equally as important, is an ability to build strong relationships, friendly personality, good team working, able to quickly learn new skills and communicate effectively.
As well as a good academic record, you will have:
- An ability to learn new technologies quickly
- High motivation with enthusiasm to succeed and progress
- Excellent problem solving ability, with an inquisitive and logical approach
- Ability to build strong relationships
- Sound planning & organisational skills to handle the workload and to prioritise activities in a dynamic work environment
- Capability to present and communicate project status to a wider audience
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Willingness to travel
- Collaborative project experience
- A can do attitude with a streak of perfectionism
You should also have:
- A good working knowledge of object-oriented programming predominantly Java and Python
- Experience of Linux environments and Bash scripting
- Experience of source control (Git, SVN etc.)
- Proficiency in document writing
- Communication and presentation skills
- Excellent collaborator within disparate teams
- An interest and ability to work across various European locations
The following are by no means necessary, but please do tell us about them as well:
- Exposure to the ISP/hosting environment
- Familiarity with Cloud environments
- Exposure to virtualisation environments (Xen, KVM, VMware, Parallels and HyperV)
- Packet level understanding of Ethernet and IP networking, and implementation of protocols
- System Administrator skills
We know no one will have all the skills quoted, so don’t worry if you don’t meet them all. The main thing we need is the ability to take whatever is thrown at you (we’re a small company after all) and to work independently.
- Hands on experience on a wide range of problems and issues
- Exposure to many industry sectors
- An organic learning approach
- An excellent platform to jump-start your career
- Exposure to and experience of many aspects of other organisations
- Induction into the business and culture
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!