Graduate Software Engineer
Tantallon Systems is currently a small company is engaged in developing advanced environmental management systems and medical monitoring. Having recently been awarded a Scottish government SMART award to assist us with the development of our medical monitoring/wellbeing solution, we are looking to hire a committed and highly-skilled graduate to work with us on developing the software. This is a 12 month project initially and we are based in Edinburgh.
- We have recently secured a SMART award from the Scottish government to develop our new technology which is concerned with the management of the wellbeing of vulnerable patients in society. You will play a key role in the development of this software solution.
- Our plan is to take our new product to the UK market initially with a view to gaining traction internationally, once we have established the market dynamics locally.
- This activity will form the key focus for the business for at least the next 12 months.
- You will be tasked with bringing your recently acquired skills and knowledge to play a key role in developing the software for our new wellbeing product which is an exciting next-generation monitoring system which we predict will have a radical impact on the way buildings and healthcare is managed.
- You will work closely with the project director and you will be encouraged to work creatively within a small team and we expect you to progressively assume responsibility for entire functional areas within the project.
- It is important that your software skills will include a knowledge of object-oriented design using high-level languages such as C#, C++, Python. You will have a good understanding and some experience of low level embedded software, (C and C++), applications development on Windows software and Unix or Linux platforms. These will all be deployed at various stages of the project.
- A good understanding and working knowledge of the development process in respect of developing code for hardware/software projects from concept of design to on-site commissioning. A good working familiarity with formal design methodologies - particularly, UML (Universal Modelling Language), will be essential and key to the way the company wants to work.
- Your role within the company will be determined according to by your aptitude, creativity, ambition and energy throughout the project.
- Degree qualified in appropriate IT/Computing Science related discipline.
Skills / Experience
- Development experience using C#, C++, and C programming languages
- Experience of embedded platforms and operating systems
- Knowledge of application development on Windows platforms/Linux platforms
- Competent with Database Management Systems (especially MS SQL Server 20XX)
- UML - The Universal Modelling Language
- The Microsoft Visual Studio Integrated Development Environment
- Communications protocols – TCP/IP suite, USB, RS232/RS485
- Wireless technologies: Wifi, Zigbee, Bluetooth
- Web based technologies such as RESTful web design
- Great communicator
- Project management experience
- An ability to be able to develop and ‘put into action’ strategies to solve problems within the project life cycle
- Excellent personal management skills
- Can prioritise competing tasks and meet deadlines
- Previous experience of a similar role, either during or post study
We offer a congenial friendly working environment and employ an equal opportunities approach to employment. Where this is possible, we offer considerable working flexibility in the way hours may be worked. We have big ambitions for the company and its products and we want all employees to meaningfully share in the rewards of the company. Following an initial period, we would expect that all staff will be provided with share options in the company.
- As part of your ScotGrad placement, you will be able to participate in two courses, one online and the other is classroom based. The courses are themed around digital marketing and sales and will provide you with knowledge and skills which will enhance your current and future employability prospects.
- ScotGrad placements also offer a unique opportunity to connect with a vast network of graduates and ScotGrad alumni. All graduates appointed through the programme are encouraged to make use of the ScotGrad LinkedIn group to communicate with other ScotGrad participants, learn about any professional development opportunities and build up a professional network.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!