Insignia Technologies Ltd - Graduate Scientist
Insignia Technologies Ltd. have developed a range of innovative labelling solutions for the food industry. Due to increased demand for their products, they are undergoing significant growth and therefore an opportunity has arisen to join this dynamic young company. In order to meet this growth, they are currently carrying out international customer trials and product launches. Therefore, there is a need to recruit a graduate Scientist to assist in these customer trials, the production scale up of the manufacturing process, as well as assist in ongoing R&D activities. Whilst this is initially a 12 month Scotgrad placement, it is anticipated that the role will continue beyond this time.
The project aims to successfully carry out customer trials of Insignia’s innovative labels in order to progress sales and customer support. The project will also support the scale-up current manufacturing abilities which will involve process development, optimisation of process efficiency and QA implementation. Working under the supervision of a mentor, the successful applicant will be expected to carry out research and development projects to develop new intelligent labels.
UK and international travel as required.
The project will be expected to have delivered the following outcomes:
- Successfully supported a number of international label trials
- Successfully supported the scaling-up of the manufacturing process to meet the increased demand for the range of products
- Optimisation of existing QA processes
- Support in the optimisation of existing product range
- Support the development of new intelligent labels
Main tasks and responsibilities:
- Support the planning and execution of customer label trials
- Transfer of lab-scale prototypes to commercially manufactured products
- Seek innovative solutions to technical problems
- Support to Product Development Scientists in the development of new and existing products
- Keep up to date with the relevant technology
You will have a degree in a Science based subject (preferably Chemistry) with a minimum grade of 2:2.
Skills / Experience
- Comfortable with operating in a customer facing role
- Interest in being involved in sales and marketing activities relating to project
- Practical laboratory competence
- Excellent problem solving abilities
- A high degree of self-motivation and a pro-active approach to your work
- The commitment and strong work ethic required to meet strict deadlines
- The ability to be flexible and adapt quickly to changing targets
- The ability to multi-task and work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent team working skills
- Willingness to regularly travel internationally
- Hold a driving license for a minimum of 1 year
- Previous experience of a similar role, either during or post-study
An opportunity to join an ambitious and innovative company who are working with a range of high profile customers to reduce food waste across the food sector. The successful applicant will be exposed to all stages of customer trials, manufacturing and QA process, as well as being trained in the development of intelligent indicators.
As part of your ScotGrad placement, you will be able to participate in a couple of training courses mainly online, and one classroom based. The courses are themed around environmental management and quality standards and will provide you with knowledge and skills which will enhance your current and future skills.
ScotGrad placements also offer a unique opportunity to connect with a vast network of graduates and ScotGrad alumni. All graduates appointed through the programme are encouraged to make use of the ScotGrad LinkedIn group to communicate with other ScotGrad participants, learn about any professional development opportunities and build up a professional network.
Insignia Technologies Ltd. is a dynamic and innovative company developing a range of smart pigments which change colour when exposed to a variety of gases. Our pigments are incorporated into plastics or inks to create intelligent, colour-changing labels for the food packaging industry. Our labels aim to reduce food waste throughout the food and drink sector as well as in consumer homes.