Graduate Web Developer - JLP Internet Ltd
Based in Shetland, JLP Internet offers a wide range of web based products and services to help businesses market themselves effectively and become more efficient.
They now have an excellent opportunity for a 12 month graduate placement to improve and maintain their new website builder tool IRIS.
The successful candidate will focus on improving the customer onboarding experience by streamlining the current software.
Specific tasks of the placement will include:
- Work closely alongside others in the office to learn the wide range of aspects that go into creating a successful website and consider mapping out a process to streamline the customer login area.
- Implement improvements to the current customer login area by integrating the payment gateway, subscription system, signup form and core IRIS software to make it easier for customers to manage their account and payment details.
- Research and test other website builder tools available, find features or elements of these tools that does not exist or could be better in IRIS, and prepare a roadmap of planned changes.
- Identify customer leads outwith the Highlands and Islands.
- Add ability to change the language settings in IRIS to better target new markets and potential customers.
- Allow adding products, and integrate with payment gateways to allow customers to sell products on their website.
- Create handover document to ensure continuity.
For informal enquiries regarding this position please contact John Pottinger on 07502 318876.
This position is part funded by Highlands and Islands Enterprise and the European Regional Development Fund.
Minimum HNC Level, preferably related to Computing Science. Other subjects accepted provided the candidate has the required skills.
Skills / Experience
- Knowledge of web development best practices and security.
- Solid understanding of HTML, CSS, PHP and MySQL
- Strong interpersonal skills, both written and oral.
- Proactive and able to work on own initiative.
- Ability to work as part of a small, close team.
- Commitment to 12-month project completion.
- Knowledge of using open source Content Management Systems.
- Knowledge of PHP MVC frameworks such as CakePHP.
- Portfolio or examples of websites you’ve built or been heavily involved in creating.
- Photoshop experience, and knowledge of core web design fundamentals.
Upon successful completion of the project the graduate placement may result in permanent employment, should the candidate meet the organisation’s needs, be a good fit with the core team and would like to develop his or her career in this field.
The graduate will receive the necessary training and support throughout the placement.
An integral part of the ScotGrad Graduate Placement Programme is the tailored 4-day residential graduate business skills training course. ScotGrad placements also offer a unique opportunity to connect with a network of graduates and ScotGrad alumni. All graduates appointed through the programme are encouraged to use ScotGrad’s networks to communicate with other ScotGrad participants, learn about any professional development opportunities, including any relevant networking events and build up a professional network.
JLP Internet is a Shetland based IT company that offers website design and other related online services such as managed Office 365 provision, custom software development and Internet Marketing to businesses and organisations. For more information go to www.jlpinternet.com