Graduate Programme in Maritime
Do you have the passion and drive to bring to life projects that will impact on the future of energy? Shipping and Maritime provides support to the wider Shell business in all aspects of Shipping, Offshore Marine and Maritime Technology. Our team supports complex shipping and maritime projects across both our Upstream and Downstream businesses around the world.
“The multiple and diverse projects I have supported, and in some instanced led, have enabled me to gain technical competence as well as develop skills as a project manager. Essentially the opportunities to develop are vast and, if you’re proactive and have an enthusiastic approach to learning, you’ll thrive.”
– Alex, Shell UK Graduate Programme: Maritime
As one of the most innovative companies in the world, we’re looking for graduates to join us on this exciting journey of discovery, pushing boundaries and exploring frontiers as we go.
Your Graduate Programme in Maritime
We are currently seeking talented Marine Engineers or Naval Architects, either graduating next year or with some industry experience to join our Shipping and Maritime teams. The key activities include:
- Ensuring compliance with national and international regulations
- Providing technical expertise on projects within maritime and marine engineering/naval, architecture/Electrical Instrumentation and Control expertise
- Identification and maturation of innovative marine and maritime solutions
- Monitoring integrity, safety and environmental performance and initiation of actions to ensure company and legal requirements continue to be satisfied
- Supporting the Shipping and Maritime Technology team in the conception, execution and commissioning phases of marine projects
This first-hand involvement in cutting-edge projects places graduates like you in challenging positions so you can make your mark within your team and the organisation as a whole. Throughout your journey on the Programme some of the best operating teams and engineers in the business will dedicate themselves to helping you develop your skills and propel your career.
You can expect to receive world-class coaching, invaluable mentoring, formal structured training and regular in-depth progress checks to ensure you’re on track to reaching your potential. Staff networks, including Energie (a UK network for recent graduates), provide a wide range of social events and access to colleagues from across the business at all levels.
For those who start as graduate engineer in the Shipping and Maritime Technology organization, there will be opportunities later in their career (depending on competencies, interest and opportunities) to take assignments in other engineering roles or in other disciplines like project engineering or operations throughout the global Shell organization.
Your rewards and benefits include:
- The opportunity to work on global projects with external partners
- Challenging and substantial responsibilities from your first entry into the business, where your performance contributes to company success
- A structured development programme, highly valued across the industry
- Working for a globally recognized brand tackling globally significant challenges
- Excellent flexibility and work-life balance
- A minimum starting (base) salary of £32,500 (plus London market allowance), and opportunity for rapid progression
The Maritime roles require an academic background in Marine Engineering or Naval Architecture.
The application process for our graduate programmes is rigorous, but is designed to enable the most talented graduates to stand out. After submitting an online application, you will be invited to complete our online assessments. Successful candidates are invited to a telephone interview. The final assessment takes the form of a Shell Recruitment Day* at which around six candidates participate in both individual and group exercises.
Through this process we will be assessing candidates’:
- Capacity – the intellectual ability to analyse and apply unfamiliar information to complex situations.
- Achievement – the ability to identify and manage resources in order to deliver results.
- Relationship-building – the ability to work within, and lead, diverse teams
- And, for Technical candidates, we also assess technical expertise via a Technical Case Study.
*An Assessed Internship is an alternative final assessment option for penultimate year students.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!