Valuations Summer Intern - Birmingham
At Smith & Williamson we recruit high calibre people with the skills, knowledge and commitment to meet the demands of the business. Lasting six weeks, our summer internships aim to give undergraduates in their penultimate year a great insight into life at our firm. You won’t be left making the tea; you’ll be getting involved in the same sort of work as our graduates, which could mean attending meetings with partners, visiting clients, getting involved in research and everything in between. It’s a great opportunity for us to see if you have what it takes to become one of our future business advisors.
The Valuations team prepares a wide range of valuations for accounting, tax and commercial purposes, in both contentious and non-contentious circumstances. In addition to business and share valuations, we also prepare valuations of intangible assets (often post acquisition) and incentive scheme awards (e.g. share options and management share plans).
Valuations is one of the fastest growing areas within Smith & Williamson and has been identified as a strategic area of growth and investment. The Birmingham-based team have played a pivotal role in the growth of the wider valuation practice and remain ambitious about future development which provides the applicant an exciting opportunity with excellent career prospects.
We are part of a broader transaction services team and therefore work alongside due diligence and financial modelling colleagues. The team is currently small but ambitious, giving the applicant an opportunity to work directly with senior members of the team and important stakeholders representing a wide range of clients.
What will I be doing?
Your internship will provide you with plenty of opportunities to experience the type of work that our graduates carry out on a day to day basis; you could be attending meetings with partners or assisting with research projects. There will be a wide variety of work for you to do, and an opportunity for you to be a real part of the department you join.
Some of your duties may include:
- Assisting with preparing and analysing financial data
- Financial modelling
- Utilising our data sources to research industry trends, comparable companies and acquisitions
- Maintain internal credentials databases
- Gain an insight into valuation methodologies and concepts
To be successful in this role you will:
- Be able to deliver first class client service and work effectively as part of a team.
- Demonstrate an ability to communicate clearly both verbally and in writing.
- Have a high level of general commercial awareness.
- Must have or be on course for at least a strong second class honours degree in any discipline
- 300 UCAS points (or equivalent) in your top three A-levels (excluding General Studies)
- GCSE English and maths (or equivalent) at a minimum of grade B
Successful candidates following the summer internship will be offered a graduate role commencing in 2020.
Please note our summer internships are only open to penultimate year students.