Private Client Tax Trainee - Jersey
At Smith & Williamson we recruit high calibre people with the skills, knowledge and commitment to meet the demands of the business. The graduate programme is a three-year structured training programme combining practical experience with technical studies, as well as providing numerous opportunities to increase your skill set with internal courses ranging from personal impact and negotiation skills to time management to delivering presentations. We will also look at a school leaver, following the same process albeit this is a five-year scheme as opposed to three.
Our Private Client Tax Services team help individuals from all walks of life with their tax issues. With over 6,000 private tax clients and 1,500 trusts, our client base is incredibly diverse. Today, we provide services to high-net-worth individuals, non-domiciled individuals, landed estates, trusts and professional practices.
Our Jersey office provides a range of services to private clients, family offices, trustees and corporations operating in multiple jurisdictions. We understand the challenges and pressures corporations and individuals face in protecting and growing their wealth as well as managing tax exposure, while remaining compliant with the relevant legislation.
At Smith & Williamson, we have a dedicated team of specialists based in Jersey who provide international solutions for tax, financial planning, investment management, settlements, custody and dealing.
What will I be doing?
Our Private Client Tax Services team in Jersey deliver both tax and business outsourcing services to clients. This could include compliance obligations and reporting requirements while also advising on domestic and international issues through our Nexia International network. The team also work closely with other practices within Smith & Williamson such as the investment managers, financial planners and pension’s specialists which complement and enhance the advice we can offer.
As part of our Private Client Tax Team you will combine hands on practical experience which could be advising on tax efficient strategies or helping clients with financial planning whilst studying.
Duties of the Tax Trainee role are:
- Prepare and input client transactions into computerised ledger system
- Preparation of monthly and quarterly management accounts for clients
- Prepare quarterly VAT returns from financial information supplied by client
- Preparation of annual financial statements, including statutory accounts, partnership accounts and sole trader accounts for tax purposes
- Maintaining client payrolls, including processing weekly, monthly and quarterly payroll runs
- Preparation of accounts and tax returns for basic trusts
- Preparation of Repayment Claim Forms and basic Tax Returns for individuals
- Dealing with correspondence from clients/HMRC and other third parties
- Advising clients of their forthcoming tax liabilities including writing to clients and 3rd parties where necessary
- Billing clients in a timely manner for the work we have carried out on their behalf
- Setting up new clients and dealing with the disengagement of departing clients
- Organisation of workload to ensure an efficient and timely service
What training and development will I receive in my first few years?
During your training contract you will study towards the joint ACA/CTA qualification.
To be successful in this role you will:
- Be committed and motivated to studying towards the joint ACA/CTA qualification.
- Be able to deliver first class client service and work effectively as part of a team
- Demonstrate an ability to communicate clearly both verbally and in writing
- Have a high level of general commercial awareness
- Must have or be on course for at least an upper second-class honours degree in any discipline (for the graduate route)
- 300 UCAS points (or equivalent) in your top three A-levels (excluding General Studies)
- GCSE English and Maths (or equivalent) at a minimum of grade B