Business Tax - Industrial Placement Year
At Smith & Williamson we recruit high calibre people with the skills, knowledge and commitment to meet the demands of the business. The successful candidate will join the business tax team in our Guildford office for a year- long placement where there is potential for the offer of a permanent graduate role to commence upon completion of university.
The Placement Programme is a one year structured training programme combining practical experience with technical studies, as well as providing numerous opportunities to increase your skill set with internal courses ranging from personal impact and negotiation skills to time management to delivering presentations.
Our business tax team provides tax and consulting services to a wide range of companies, from quoted multinational groups to owner-managed businesses. Our tax advice is designed to meet our clients' agreed commercial objectives considering all relevant taxes, not only corporation tax. We provide practical advice, we regularly negotiate with HM Revenue & Customs and members of our team sit on a number of leading professional and industry committees.
We believe that hands-on experience is key to creating well-rounded trusted business advisers. As part of our business tax team you'll work alongside senior tax professionals with a range of expertise, this means you'll be doing real work from the outset.
During your placement you will study for the ACA and then the Chartered Taxation Adviser (CTA) qualification.
- Preparation of corporation tax computations and returns (CT600s)
- Preparation of partnership and personal tax returns
- General compliance including keeping records of tax payments, advising clients of key filing and payment dates and communicating with the HM Revenue & Customs where necessary
- Preparing billing analysis of work completed and draft fee notes to clients
- Assist with research assignments and drafting technical documentation
- Assisting other group members in professional work and providing support where required
To be successful in this role you will
- Be able to deliver first class client service and work effectively as part of a team
- Demonstrate an ability to communicate clearly both verbally and in writing
- Be well organised and have the ability to prioritise your own workload
- Have a high level of general commercial awareness
- Take a diligent and efficient approach to work
- Demonstrate a professional and polite approach
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!