Intelligent Mobility and Smart Technologies 2019 - Transportation
When you join our Intelligent Mobility and Smart Technology (IMST) team as a graduate you’ll become a key player in transforming the future of transport. We are a growing practice of around 80 engineers, consultants and technical specialists, working with emerging technologies to push the boundaries and drive innovation. Our projects range from driverless cars, data exploitation, and transport technologies, to roads of the future, change programmes and urban / inter-urban traffic management. Our team need to look at challenges very differently to connect people and place and this requires a huge variety of skills and capabilities. Providing simple solutions to complex problems, it’s an exciting journey and you can play a lead role.
We have a growing range of clients, and we need many different skills and capabilities to deliver projects for them. We believe that diversity is the key to success and makes us stand out from the crowd, and therefore are searching for graduates with a variety of degree types and backgrounds to join our team.
What you’ll be doing
In our team, you will have a role in delivering the technology systems that manage and optimise tomorrow’s transport infrastructure, driving innovative projects from adaptive traffic signals and smart motorways to control centres and real-time passenger information. There is also the opportunity to design proof of concepts and run trials to test what the future of travel will look like. You might have heard of projects called Flourish and Venturer - these are real examples of putting early design driverless cars to the test and tackling the real questions around public acceptance, safety, insurance and end-user experience.
As a Graduate Consultant, your activities are likely to include:
- Developing our technical offerings and capabilities for IMST-related services
- Supporting client engagement on new transport technologies, such as intelligent infrastructure, integrated platforms, traffic management systems and multi-modal journey planning
- Contributing to new value propositions and testing existing propositions
- Growing skills in technical or project / programme management delivery roles, working with a multi-disciplinary team to deliver a project to time and budget
- Contributing to business development activities, including bidding for new projects with clients
- Developing user requirements through discussion with clients, other stakeholders and the project team
- Writing technical notes and project reports for clients
- Preparing documents and drawings in accordance with client and Atkins’ requirements
Who we’re looking for
- You’ll be a talented graduate with a bachelor’s (2.1 or above) or masters (2.2 or above) across a wide variety of degree disciplines. We are particularly interested if you have a degree in Engineering, Maths, Economics, Geography, Technology, Physics, Chemistry, Social Sciences or Computer science.
We also require:
- Strong communicator with the ability to present
- A driven, goal-oriented individual
- Ability to manage priorities in a high-pressure environment
- Confidence working on your own initiative and as part of multidisciplinary teams
- Ability to analyse problems and provide create innovative solutions
- A flexible approach to travel as our projects may take you to a variety of locations in the UK and possibly abroad
- A curious interest and keen to develop knowledge and experience in transport technologies
- Understanding of the link between winning work, delivering projects, and generating revenue / profit
Having taken on a minimum of 250 graduates consistently every year for the past 5 years, with the aspiration of recruiting 500 graduates this year, Atkins prides itself on a strong graduate community, that gives our graduates a voice. To get a real feel for our graduate culture or learn about what makes life at Atkins so great – just select the handle from your favourite social media platform or take a look #insideatkins
- Like us on Facebook: InsideAtkins
- Follow us on Twitter: @InsideAtkins
- Add us on Snapchat: AtkinsNextGen
- Follow us on Instagram: atkins_global
- Follow us on LinkedIn: Atkins
- Watch us on YouTube: Early Careers
Rewards & Benefits
When you join our Transportation team, you’ll be empowered to be the professional you want to be, working on projects you feel proud of. You will be part of an international team, making a real difference to the world around you and leaving a lasting legacy for future generations. As you move through our structured development programme and experience the breadth of our expertise, you could take your career in any number of different directions, working on some of the most technically challenging projects of our generation. Some of our benefits, to name a few, include;
- A settling in payment of £2,500 when you join – paid within the first month
- Continuous support and mentoring to achieve chartered status with your chosen institution, funded by Atkins. With a chartership/accreditation bonus of £2,500 once attained
- A robust career development plan, including a library of core learning modules and on the job technical training.
- 25 days annual leave, plus bank holidays, with the option to buy up to 15 additional days leave per year
- 2 volunteer days per year for you to use for a cause that matters to you
- Local graduate forums & a strong graduate network across all locations
- Annual events, such as our 2-day graduate induction, ski trips, away weekends, team building activities
How to apply
To apply for this role, please select the ‘apply now’ button below. Full guidance on our application process can be found here. Please note that some roles may be available for immediate start.
Our deadline for applications is Wednesday 2nd January 2019. Due to the popularity of some of our programmes we may shut before this deadline, therefore to avoid disappointment we would advise applying as early as possible.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.