Ground Engineering, Tunnelling and Underground Space Graduate Scheme 2019 - Infrastructure
As a Graduate Engineering Geologist, Geotechnical or Tunnelling Engineer you could be involved in one of the most exciting sectors in civil and environmental engineering.
With an impressive portfolio of prestigious and diverse geotechnical projects worldwide, you could help us to design and construct new and innovative infrastructure (such as mass transit systems, tunnelling and power supply), geohazard, underground storage and offshore geotechnics. Together we share knowledge and create a better, more sustainable future for all by safeguarding our natural resources. We offer a world of opportunities from the projects you’ll work on, to the directions you can take your career in.
Join us in our vision to be the world’s best Infrastructure Consultancy, working with a broad range of clients to influence policy, future technology and global sustainability.
What you’ll be doing
Our industry leading Infrastructure Academy is the ideal place to start your career. At its heart, being in the academy will mean you are part of a dynamic technical community with access to the latest thinking and developments in your field. As well as structured training that’s designed with you in mind, we’ll support you and help you achieve Chartered status.
As a graduate, you’ll be joining one of the following teams:
Our Ground Engineering team provides world class geotechnical and engineering geology services to infrastructure and global energy clients, focusing around the engineering behaviour of the ground for complex new build and asset life extension projects. You’ll get involved in a broad range of activities including site investigation, 3D ground modelling, geohazard & terrain evaluation, earth structures, foundation design and ground improvement, in both the onshore and offshore environments.
Tunnelling and Underground Space
Our Tunnelling and Underground Space team provides technically excellent engineering design of tunnelling, underground, and heavy infrastructure, particularly focused on mass transit, rail and major project programmes. Our team have expertise in assessment of ground movements, design of complex foundations and ‘ground-contacting’ structures, in addition to the assessment of ventilation and fire life safety aspects of utilising underground space. Here you’ll get the opportunity to take on a wide range of interesting activities, including site work, design, asset impact assessments, life cycle/risk assessments and project management.
Where you’ll be based
Ground Engineering - Birmingham, Bristol, Cambridge, Cardiff, Croydon, Derby, Epsom, Glasgow, Leeds, London and Warrington
Tunnelling and Underground Space - Epsom and London
Who we’re looking for
- Talented graduates with a 2.1 degree or above in Civil Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering, Engineering Geology or equivalent - accredited by the appropriate institution
- Ideally a specialist Masters in Soil Mechanics, Engineering Geology, Geotechnical Engineering, Tunnel Engineering or a related subject
- Confident working on your own initiative and as part of multidisciplinary teams
- A good communicator who can collaborate with a variety of colleagues and become a trusted client adviser
- Someone who can analyse problems, create innovative solutions and make sound decisions in a competitive and commercial environment
- Keen attention to detail and the drive to keep on learning
- Ambition, vision, enthusiasm and the drive to keep on developing your technical skills and achieve Chartered status
- A flexible approach to travel as our projects and training may take you to a variety of locations in the UK and possibly abroad
Want to learn more about who we are, our graduates and what makes their life at Atkins so great? Come and look at our people and culture at #InsideAtkins If you would like to keep up to date with all things Atkins, please click the below and start scrolling;
- Like us on Facebook: InsideAtkins
- Follow us on Twitter: @InsideAtkins
- Add us on Snapchat: AtkinsNextGen
- Follow us on Instagram: atkins_global
- Follow us on LinkedIn: Atkins
- Watch us on YouTube: Early Careers
Rewards and Benefits
If you join us you will be working on some of the most challenging engineering projects of our time, helping to shape the future of Infrastructure. You will have opportunities to work closely with clients, spending time within their organisations and taking learning from some of the most experienced engineers in the industry. Our 3-year flexible graduate scheme promises to give you the support you need to develop your technical, commercial and consultancy skills. Some of our benefits, to name a few, include:
- A settling in payment of £2,500 when you join – paid within the first month
- Continuous support and mentoring to achieve chartered status with your chosen institution, funded by Atkins. With a chartership bonus of £2,500 once complete
- A robust career development plan, including a library of core learning modules and on the job technical training
- 25 days’ annual leave, plus bank holidays, with the option to buy up to 15 additional days per year
- 2 volunteer days per year for you to use for a cause that matters to you
- Assigned graduate buddy upon joining and a strong graduate network across all locations
- Various annual events, such as our 2-day graduate induction, ski trips, away weekends and team building activities.
For a full list of our benefits, please refer to our website.
How to apply
Our deadline for applications is Wednesday 2nd January 2019. Some of our programmes are incredibly popular, to avoid disappointment (where some roles may close earlier) we recommend you apply as soon as possible. For further details on our recruitment process please refer to our website.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (or in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.