Project Management Graduate Scheme 2019 - Transportation
Do you want to work on some of the most prestigious, innovative and demanding construction projects within the transportation sector? From Crossrail to HS2, to managing the M25 and construction of a new motorway around Newport to ease congestion and on to London’s Heathrow Airport and the London Underground network.
As one of the world’s leading transportation contractors providing design consultancy and construction services to many of the UK’s largest clients and major contractors our cutting-edge independent advice and innovative design enables our clients to turn ideas into reality and deliver their most important transportation projects and programmes. You can help us lead the way.
What you’ll be doing
- Join our innovative project management team and it will be up to you to make sure our transportation projects run smoothly. You’ll take care of everything from design, contracts and budgets, to purchasing and on-site construction. It’s a big job. But you’ll enjoy bringing everyone and everything together to deliver some of the largest and most challenging engineering projects in the transportation industry.
- You will also have opportunities to run small projects by yourself and ensure they are delivered on time and on budget. There’s an array of chances for you to develop your skillset, build up your experience and grow an impressive portfolio.
- Transportation is involved in some of the most technically challenging design and engineering projects in the rail industry. Providing an opportunity to work alongside some of the industry’s leading engineers and gain experience of being part of the project teams behind some of the Rail industry’s major infrastructure projects.
- East West Rail, HS2 and M4 CANs are all projects that you could working on.
As a Graduate Project Manager, you’ll:
- Disseminate project information to stakeholders
- Develop and maintain project deliverables under the direction of the Project Director and Project Managers to secure and measure progress
- Collect and input data in to project trackers and databases
- Attend Project Meetings and support with meeting minutes
- Preparation of meeting material to include reports, presentations and agendas
- Project cost analysis, monitoring cost and assessing earned value
- Assisting in the preparation of Project Management and Commercial Reports for the Senior Management Team
- Assisting in Work Package Management processes
- Work towards APM Chartership status
Where you’ll be based
Atkins Transportation have teams based across the UK:
- North – Manchester, York
- Midlands – Birmingham, Derby
- South East – London
- South West – Bristol
Who we’re looking for
- Achieved or on track to achieve a bachelor’s (2.1 or above) or masters (2.2 or above) in Business Management, Construction Project Management, Project Management, Physics, Maths, Data Science or any Engineering degree
We also require:
- Drive and determination to achieve Chartered Status
- Confident working on your own initiative and as part of multidisciplinary teams
- A good communicator who can analyse problems, create innovative solutions and manage your time effectively
- A flexible approach to travel as our projects and training may take you to a variety of locations in the UK and possibly abroad
- Experience with APM or PRINCE2 would be advantageous
- Knowledge of transporting systems or engineering would be advantageous
- Prepared to undergo a medical assessment, as some roles may involve working out on site
Having taken on a minimum of 250 graduates consistently every year for the past 5 years, with the aspiration of recruiting 500 graduates this year, Atkins prides itself on a strong graduate community, that gives our graduates a voice. To get a real feel for our graduate culture or learn about what makes life at Atkins so great – just select the handle from your favourite social media platform or take a look #insideatkins
- Like us on Facebook: InsideAtkins
- Follow us on Twitter: @InsideAtkins
- Add us on Snapchat: AtkinsNextGen
- Follow us on Instagram: atkins_global
- Follow us on LinkedIn: Atkins
- Watch us on YouTube: Early Careers
Rewards & Benefits
When you join our Transportation team, you’ll be empowered to be the professional you want to be, working on projects you feel proud of. You will be part of an international team, making a real difference to the world around you and leaving a lasting legacy for future generations. As you move through our structured development programme and experience the breadth of our expertise, you could take your career in any number of different directions, working on some of the most technically challenging projects of our generation. Some of our benefits, to name a few, include;
- A settling in payment of £2,500 when you join – paid within the first month
- Continuous support and mentoring to achieve chartered status with your chosen institution, funded by Atkins. With a chartership/accreditation bonus of £2,500 once attained
- A robust career development plan, including a library of core learning modules and on the job technical training.
- 25 days annual leave, plus bank holidays, with the option to buy up to 15 additional days leave per year
- 2 volunteer days per year for you to use for a cause that matters to you
- Local graduate forums & a strong graduate network across all locations
- Annual events, such as our 2-day graduate induction, ski trips, away weekends, team building activities
How to apply
To apply for this role, please select the ‘apply now’ button below. Full guidance on our application process can be found here. Please note that some roles may be available for immediate start.
Our deadline for applications is Wednesday 2nd January 2019. Due to the popularity of some of our programmes we may shut before this deadline, therefore to avoid disappointment we would advise applying as early as possible.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.