Transport Planning Graduate Scheme 2019 - Transportation
As transport infrastructure experience’s unprecedented investment, join us in transport planning and help us to shape the future of transport. You’ll provide advisory, planning, design and consultancy services to our clients, who include Local Authorities, Department for Transport, Highways England and private sector developers. Your insight, smart thinking and strategic advice will enable them to make the right decisions, develop and invest in the best solutions and realise their development goals.
We’re not looking for transport experience. We’re more interested in your innovative thinking and ability to bring clarity to complex problems, see things from different stakeholder perspectives and communicate your ideas and solutions in an effective way. The transport planning world is evolving rapidly into exciting new areas of technology, it has never been a better time to join our team to deliver projects which make their mark on the environment in which we live.
Does the chance to work on high profile projects such as the innovative design of the diagonal crossing at Oxford Circus and producing Local Traffic Management Plans for HS2 excite you? If so we’d love to see your application!
What you’ll be doing
- Supporting transport planning projects from forecasting and appraisal, to gathering and analysing data for local modelling studies.
- Developing and applying an understanding of national, regional and local transport policies, statutory and regulatory requirements, guidance and best practice
- Collecting retrieving, analysing and using data and information on travel patterns and behaviour
- Assessing the different costs and benefits of transport schemes and programmes
- Analysing, interpreting and presenting data using GIS and spreadsheets
- Preparing various written deliverables, including client technical reports, materials for stakeholder engagement
- Undertaking research to understand the context for proposed schemes and their likely impacts
- Supporting consultation with the public and engagement with stakeholders
- Contributing to the application of the principles of transport systems/scheme design
- Developing and apply the principles and techniques of changing travel behaviour, including travel planning, travel marketing, walking and cycling initiatives and journey planning
Our Graduate Transport Planners work across a variety of teams with expertise in the following areas:
Economics and Business Case:
- Working with local authorities, the DfT, Highways England and more, we analyse all kinds of schemes from new highways and railways to bus rapid transit and Crossrail 2. We advise on everything from project costs and benefits to the best options and new ways to unlock investment.
Strategic Transport & Strategy:
- Looking at everything from policies, infrastructure, public transport services and sustainable travel programmes to funding, governance and research, our clients will trust you to provide them with the best strategic advice.
- In Transport Modelling, we bring data and new ideas together. You’ll model traffic and people to understand movement and provide our customers with the very best solutions. And you’ll help us transform the future of transport by using the latest intelligent mobility and mobile phone data to create innovative new models.
Cities, and Development Planning:
- Collaborating with specialists from across our business as part of multidisciplinary teams, you’ll work on flagship regeneration, site expansion and transport planning development projects. Making the most of your transport planning and development skills, you’ll create streetscapes, secure planning approval for developers and deliver sustainable and accessible developments.
- Our rail operations team provides a wide range of rail planning and operations services. These include capacity and journey time modelling, network capability assessments, performance advice as well as timetabling and basic vehicle diagramming.
Who we’re looking for
We recruit graduates who have obtained or are on track to achieve a bachelor’s (2.1 or above) or masters (2.2 or above) in a variety of degree disciplines such as:
- Engineering – Civil, Mechanical, Electrical/Electronic, Telecommunications, Systems Engineering
- Planning – Transport Planning,
- English and Politics
- Sciences, Maths and others – Physics, Computer Science, IT, Geography, Maths,
- Environmental Science, Economics and GIS
We also require:
- Self-motivation with a real passion for transport planning, pedestrian planning or transport technologies
- Customer focused and commercially aware with a keen attention to detail and excellent numerical and analytical skills
- An excellent communicator and relationship builder with the confidence to work on your own initiative and work as part of multidisciplinary teams
- Ability to analyse problems and apply your technical knowledge to make sound decisions and create innovative solutions
- Vision, ambition and the drive to quickly progress, achieve Chartered status (with a relevant institution such as the Transport Planning Professional) and keep on developing your technical skills
- A flexible approach to travel as our projects and training may take you to a variety of locations in the UK and possibly abroad
- Prepared to undergo a medical assessment, as some roles may involve working out on site
Having taken on a minimum of 250 graduates consistently every year for the past 5 years, with the aspiration of recruiting 500 graduates this year, Atkins prides itself on a strong graduate community, that gives our graduates a voice. To get a real feel for our graduate culture or learn about what makes life at Atkins so great – just select the handle from your favourite social media platform or take a look #insideatkins
- Like us on Facebook: InsideAtkins
- Follow us on Twitter: @InsideAtkins
- Add us on Snapchat: AtkinsNextGen
- Follow us on Instagram: atkins_global
- Follow us on LinkedIn: Atkins
- Watch us on YouTube: Early Careers
Rewards & Benefits
When you join our Transportation team, you’ll be empowered to be the professional you want to be, working on projects you feel proud of. You will be part of an international team, making a real difference to the world around you and leaving a lasting legacy for future generations. As you move through our structured development programme and experience the breadth of our expertise, you could take your career in any number of different directions, working on some of the most technically challenging projects of our generation. Some of our benefits, to name a few, include;
- A settling in payment of £2,500 when you join – paid within the first month
- Continuous support and mentoring to achieve chartered status with your chosen institution, funded by Atkins. With a chartership/accreditation bonus of £2,500 once attained
- A robust career development plan, including a library of core learning modules and on the job technical training.
- 25 days annual leave, plus bank holidays, with the option to buy up to 15 additional days leave per year
- 2 volunteer days per year for you to use for a cause that matters to you
- Local graduate forums & a strong graduate network across all locations
- Annual events, such as our 2-day graduate induction, ski trips, away weekends, team building activities
How to apply
To apply for this role, please select the ‘apply now’ button below. Full guidance on our application process can be found here. Please note that some roles may be available for immediate start.
Our deadline for applications is Wednesday 2nd January 2019. Due to the popularity of some of our programmes we may shut before this deadline, therefore to avoid disappointment we would advise applying as early as possible.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.