Management Consultancy Graduate Scheme 2019 - Aerospace, Defence, Security & Technology
Joining SNC- Lavalin Atkins on our Management Consultancy Programme will offer you the opportunity to work on exciting and fulfilling consulting assignments across multiple sectors. It will enable you to develop the skills, knowledge and attributes necessary to be an outstanding consultant in one of our three specialist areas, Portfolio, Programme and Project Management, Business and Digital Consulting or Cyber Security. You will help our clients transform their business, and position themselves effectively in a fast-changing world.
You will encounter a variety of technical, managerial and people challenges, whilst taking advantage of the support and development opportunities provided by our graduate programme.
What you’ll be doing
You will join our Junior Consultant Development Programme (JCDP), which will enable you to drive your career forward and learn to become a world class consultant. Whether you are a recent graduate or you have already started your career elsewhere, we will empower, trust and stretch you from day one to build your own relationships with key clients, solve complex issues affecting the way organisations work and take on responsibility to demonstrate your unique capabilities.
The JCDP will support you to do this by developing your core and specialist consultancy skills through a mixture of client assignments, internal learning, development activities and external training. You will work in a number of client environments with a variety of experienced consultants whilst on the programme, as a means to develop a substantial breadth and depth of knowledge and experience.
We care deeply about the success of our clients. Many of whom are strategically important for the UK and are known for going the extra mile, solving the underlying challenges fundamental to the success of their organisations and wider society. We will support and develop you. And, you will play an active role in delivering lasting, positive change to our customers, whilst gaining your own invaluable experience. Core client activities you will be involved in include:
- Working on a wide variety of projects across Aerospace, Defence, Security and Technology markets, including Government and Critical National Infrastructure clients.
- Managing projects from start to finish as well as delivering value at any stage of the project lifecycle including writing business cases and designing, developing and implementing innovative digital and technology solutions.
- Winning new work by creating compelling bids and spotting opportunities to offer Atkins services.
- Working across stakeholder communities to build consensus for strategically important changes, and assess the impact they may have.
During the application process, you will be able to make a preference as to which one of our three specialist consulting career paths you may like to follow. The three consulting career paths are described below:
Portfolio, Programme and Project Management (P3M) Services and Delivery
- Our heritage and track record offers the fantastic opportunity to lead, shape and deliver transformational programmes in our clients as part of our P3M practices. We want our graduates to feel confident leading multidisciplinary teams to deliver cutting-edge solutions to our clients’ biggest problems.
- What we are looking for are talented graduates with strong organisational, interpersonal and communication skills; a focus on the clients’ desired outcomes; and the business brain to quickly understand complex P3M delivery.
- You’ll work across a number of clients and sectors, developing market-leading P3M skills and understanding core processes and methodologies, supported by industry recognised training and qualifications.
- As one of the few consultancies to offer specific graduate P3M career paths, we offer the opportunity to be part of a client-facing delivery team from day one, with the aim to become a fully-fledged project manager or P3M consultant by the end of your time on the JCDP.
Business and Digital Consulting (BDC)
- Experienced Consultants focus on quickly getting to the core of clients’ organisational issues; working alongside them to transform their organisation. Whether you would prefer to develop strategies and operating models, analyse where improvements can be made, design complex architectures, develop & model technical solutions, provide business analysis or understand an organisation’s people and influence change – we can equip you with the toolkit of technical consultancy skills you will need to help our clients succeed.
- The BDC Practice embraces skills ranging from business & IT architecture, solution design and deeply technical, digital analysis right through to people-focussed emotional intelligence, business change and analysis. All of which provide our clients with the most appropriate set of answers to suit their complex, varying and demanding needs.
- As you build your experience ready to leave the JCDP, you will find a natural home in one of our Consulting teams, yet equipped to work across them all. Our teams include: Strategy, Operational Consultancy & Procurement (SOCP); Digital Advisory; Business Modelling & Analytics; Business Analysis; Change & Engagement.
- Cyber Security is critical to the understanding of enterprise security risk, implementation of secure design solutions and ensuring any enterprise continues to operate effectively in the modern digital environment. We are looking for graduates, ideally with electronic engineering, computer science or information and cyber security qualification or experience, to work with our clients to develop and deliver trusted security consultancy.
- Focussing on understanding the cyber threat landscape, developing effective and efficient risk mitigation strategies, as well as applying and creating a range of tools techniques and processes, you will enable our clients to fully understand their cyber risks at an organisational level. You will also advise on relevant, domain-focused cyber vulnerabilities, operating across the business to deliver end to end secure designs, trusted advice and client-centric cyber security consultancy.
- Our Cyber Security consultants are knowledgeable, enthusiastic and conscientious individuals who have a core understanding and expertise in cyber security, information assurance and systems engineering through a combination of on-the-job experience and technical training. They must be well rounded systems thinkers that can approach a problem from a variety of perspectives as well as be able to think critically and across all aspect of process, technology and cultural aspects of an enterprise.
Who we’re looking for
- Academically strong, talented and rounded graduates with a 2:1 or above (achieved or predicted) or equivalent (Masters), in virtually any degree discipline (the Cyber Practice have some exceptions, see detail above).
- Strong communication and people skills, with the ability to collaborate with a variety of colleagues and become a trusted client adviser up to CEO level.
- Complex problem solving and analytical skills, enabling innovative solutions and sound decisions and recommendations.
- Confident working independently on own initiatives and enjoy being part of multidisciplinary teams.
- Lateral thinkers who can apply technical knowledge to analyse problems, create innovative solutions, make sound decisions and aren’t afraid to push boundaries.
- Ambitious, commercially aware and client focused with the drive to keep on learning.
- Ability to be UK mobile, whilst operating from a base office in either London or Bristol.
The prestigious Graduate Development Scheme has historically recruited 300 graduates consecutively in the last five years UK wide across SNC- Lavalin’s Atkins and Faithful + Gould. However, with the growth and changes this year we have seen monumental growth, meaning we will recruit and bring onboard 500+ Graduates through our Graduate Development Scheme (2019), making our graduate community ever growing.
Rewards and Benefits
- Some of our benefits, to name a few, include;
- A settling in payment of £2,500 when you join – paid within the first month
- Continuous support and mentoring to achieve chartered status with your chosen institution, funded by Atkins. With a chartership/accreditation bonus of £2,500 once attained
- A robust career development plan, including a library of core learning modules and on the job technical training
- 25 days’ annual leave, plus bank holidays, with the option to buy up to 15 additional days leave per year
- 2 volunteer days per year for you to use for a cause that matters to you
- Local graduate forums & a strong graduate network across all locations
- Annual events, such as our 2-day graduate induction, ski trips, away weekends, team building activities - check out our grad community page
How to apply
Our deadline for applications is Wednesday 2nd January 2019. Some of our programmes are incredibly popular, to avoid disappointment (where some roles may close earlier) we recommend you apply as soon as possible. For further details on our recruitment process please refer to our website
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (or in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.