Software Engineering Graduate Scheme 2019 - Oil & Gas and Offshore Wind
Within the oil and gas division, our operations focus on fixed and floating offshore structures, terminals, refineries, petrochemical plants and subsea pipelines. Having worked on thousands of oil and gas installations around the world, you’ll join a team of over 20,000 experts located in North America, Australia, the Middle East, Europe and the UK. We work across the life cycle of the oil and gas industry, finding innovative solutions to complex challenges through the increased use of digital and immersive technologies, and have worked on over 700 projects in the last five years all around the world. We have provided unrivalled technical expertise and support to the oil and gas industry for more than four decades. Our highly skilled teams are leading technical developments across the globe and, with our input, problems are solved and critical decisions are made with confidence.
What you’ll be doing and where you’ll be based
Our Software Development Team in Aberdeen works closely with our clients to develop high-quality software solutions that add real value to their operations. By combining high-end technical knowledge with modern software development, the team provides its clients with the tools needed to efficiently and reliably solve many of the Oil & Gas industry’s technical challenges, across a wide range of disciplines. As a Software Engineer you will:
- become an integral part of a growing team, collaborating with your colleagues to develop, deliver and support a variety of innovative software solutions that meet clients’ requirements within time and budget constraints;
- get involved in the full software development lifecycle, from requirements gathering, design and implementation, through to testing, deployment, maintenance and support. We use a lean and agile methodology, giving you the opportunity to grow into a well-rounded developer and allowing you to have an impact on every stage of a project;
- deliver bespoke software applications using a range of modern technologies and platforms, from desktop applications and services to web and cloud solutions and Microsoft Office automation. The team will help you continuously improve your programming skills, learn new things and keep up to date with the latest developments in the industry;
- solve logical and algorithmic problems, review them with the wider team and implement these solutions into working software features;
- learn and adhere to our software engineering standards, procedures and best practices and provide suggestions for continuous improvements;
- build and configure test environments and carry out unit and factory acceptance tests for our developed applications;
- produce relevant user documentation and deployment guides;
- provide support to our clients, both external and internal, for our growing portfolio of software products;
- help deploy software applications and systems and provide training to end users when required;
- be part of an excellent working environment, collaborating with technical experts across various domains and disciplines to produce software of the highest quality standards.
Our technology stack is mostly Microsoft-based: we develop software using the .NET Framework and Visual Studio, in both C# and VB.NET. We use Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) and legacy WinForms for our desktop apps, ASP.NET and Angular for web development, SQL Server and Azure for data, but these can change as the technologies evolve. You will also get to develop clever macros using VBA to help our engineering teams become more efficient and save time through automation.
Who we’re looking for
- You’ll be a talented graduate with a minimum 2.1 Bachelors / BEng degree in Software Engineering.
- You’ll have ambition, vision, enthusiasm and the drive to keep on developing your technical skills and achieve Chartered status. With a passion for working in a consultancy environment, you’ll want to work with customers and with teams who deliver to their customers and you’ll be adaptable and happy to cope with uncertainty. Communication and team-working will be your key skills as well as having the ability to apply your technical knowledge to analyse problems and create innovative solutions.
To succeed in this role, you should be able to demonstrate you have the following:
- Understanding of software development principles and strong commitment to delivering to high quality standards, constantly looking for innovation and improvements, whilst future-proofing your work;
- Technically minded with strong analytical and logical problem-solving skills. A passion for solving difficult challenges and persistence are desirable;
- Able to work in an agile environment, adapting to various domains and coping with uncertainty and changing requirements;
- Ability to work in a team, across a variety of projects and technologies and to prioritise workload, ensuring that quality and timeliness of deliverables is met;
- Creativity and strong communication skills for both business and technical audiences;
- A practical mind and that you’re self-motivated, hard-working and reliable;
Having taken on a minimum of 250 graduates consistently every year for the past 5 years, with the aspiration of recruiting 500 graduates this year, Atkins prides itself on a strong graduate community, that gives our graduates a voice. To get a real feel for our graduate culture or learn about what makes life at Atkins so great – just select the handle from your favourite social media platform or take a look #insideatkins
- Like us on Facebook: InsideAtkins
- Follow us on Twitter: @InsideAtkins
- Add us on Snapchat: AtkinsNextGen
- Follow us on Instagram: atkins_global
- Follow us on LinkedIn: Atkins
Benefits & Rewards
If you join us you will be working on some of the most challenging engineering projects of our time, helping to shape the future of energy. You will have opportunities to work closely with clients, spending time within their organisations and taking learning from some of the most experienced engineers in the industry. Our 3-year flexible graduate scheme promises to give you the support you need to develop your technical, commercial and consultancy skills. Some of our benefits, to name a few, include;
- A settling in payment of £2,500 when you join – paid within the first month
- Continuous support and mentoring to achieve chartered status with your chosen institution, funded by Atkins. With a chartership bonus of £2,500 once complete.
- A robust career development plan, including a library of core learning modules and on the job technical training.
- 25 days’ annual leave, plus bank holidays, with the option to buy up to 15 additional days leave per year
- 2 volunteer days per year for you to use for a cause that matters to you
- Local graduate forums & a strong graduate network across all locations
- Annual events, such as our 2-day graduate induction, ski trips, away weekends, team building activities and more
How to apply
Our deadline for applications is Wednesday 02nd January 2019. However, due to the popularity of some of our programmes we may close before this deadline, therefore to avoid disappointment we would advise applying as early as possible.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.