Project Management Graduate Scheme (2019) - Nuclear & Power
We are the team that engineer, deliver, manage and decommission nuclear facilities worldwide, using the latest technology solutions to ensure the lights stay on and the world remains a safe place.
Our power business has been delivering electrical, civil and structural engineering services to the global power sector for over 20 years. We’re now leaning into new energy challenges such as offshore generation and transmission, energy from waste, electric vehicle infrastructure and the integration of smart grid technology - helping to drive evolution in the power sector.
With an unwavering commitment to safety, quality and efficiency, we are well positioned to add value to today’s challenges of delivering the next generation of nuclear power plants while at the same time maintaining the existing generating ﬂeet and safely decommissioning legacy facilities. We’re now looking to the future, working with Small Modular Reactor (SMR) developers to advance new designs and developing digital applications, such as virtual and augmented reality, for the nuclear industry.
What you’ll be doing
- Based in our Warrington or Whitehaven office as a Graduate Project Manager you’ll be responsible for the delivery of projects to time, cost and quality primarily in the nuclear sector. This could include:
- Interfacing with internal clients such as the engineering team and project support functions.
- Interfacing with external stakeholders such as client organisations, our delivery partners and our supply chains.
- Gaining an understanding of and complying with our company processes and procedures
- Monitoring of project performance and reporting of that to both internal management and client organisations using tools such as earned value management.
- You could also be responsible for managing and coordinating high quality, industry-leading bids. Some examples of clients you could be working for include Urenco UK, Sellafield Ltd and various nuclear new build organisations.
- Using a variety of engineering software packages, as well as 2D and 3D modelling for new designs and modifications
- Attending graduate networks & forums to help shape our scheme & graduate community activities
Having taken on a minimum of 250 graduates consistently every year for the past 5 years, with the aspiration of recruiting 500 graduates this year, Atkins prides itself on a strong graduate community, that gives our graduates a voice. To get a real feel for our graduate culture or learn about what makes life at Atkins so great – just select the handle from your favourite social media platform or take a look #insideatkins
- Like us on Facebook: InsideAtkins
- Follow us on Twitter: @InsideAtkins
- Add us on Snapchat: AtkinsNextGen
- Follow us on Instagram: atkins_global
- Follow us on LinkedIn: Atkins
Who we’re looking for
- You’ll be a talented graduate with a minimum 2.2 Masters/MEng degree in an engineering, commercial, science or project management related subject.
- You’ll have ambition, vision, enthusiasm and the drive to keep on developing your technical skills and achieve Chartered status.
- You’ll have a passion for working in a consultancy environment, you’ll want to work with customers both internally and externally and you’ll be adaptable and happy to cope with change.
- Communication and team-working will be your key skills as well as having the ability to apply your technical knowledge to analyse problems and create innovative solutions.
- You will have a flexible approach to mobility
Benefits & Rewards
When you join our nuclear and power team, you’ll be empowered to be the professional you want to be, working on projects you feel proud of. You will be part of an international team, making a real difference to the world around you and leaving a lasting legacy for future generations. As you move through our structured development programme and experience the breadth of our expertise, you could take your career in any number of different directions, working on some of the most technically challenging projects of our generation. Some of our benefits, to name a few, include;
- A settling in payment of £2,500 when you join – paid within the first month
- Continuous support and mentoring to achieve chartered status with your chosen institution, funded by Atkins. With a chartership/accreditation bonus of £2,500 once attained
- A robust career development plan, including a library of core learning modules and on the job technical training.
- 25 days’ annual leave, plus bank holidays, with the option to buy up to 15 additional days leave per year
- 2 volunteer days per year for you to use for a cause that matters to you
- Local graduate forums & a strong graduate network across all locations
- Annual events, such as our 2-day graduate induction, ski trips, away weekends, team building activities and more
How to apply
Our deadline for applications is Wednesday 02nd January 2019. However, due to the popularity of some of our programmes we may shut before this deadline, therefore to avoid disappointment we would advise applying as early as possible.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.