Signalling and Communications Systems Graduate Scheme (2019) - Transportation
Join us in our Signalling and Communications Systems Practice and you will shape the future of transportation by helping our clients deploy the latest Transport Systems technologies to provide safe, punctual, fast and environmentally efficient journeys to millions of people.
You’ll deliver the technology systems that will help our clients manage and optimise tomorrow’s transport infrastructure. Our teams drive innovative projects from industry leading signalling systems and smart motorway solutions to control centres and real-time passenger information. We advise on everything from strategic direction to the detailed design, installation and commissioning of systems on our client’s infrastructure.
So, you can look forward to plenty of variety from testing systems on site to exploring next generation technologies and design solutions.
What you’ll be doing
As a Graduate Engineer you will join one of our specialist teams focused on:
- Intelligent Road Transport Systems
- Railway Signalling and Control
- Railway Signalling Construction and Testing
- Technical Investigations
Where you’ll be based
Atkins Transportation have teams based across the UK:
- North – Crewe, Manchester
- Midlands – Birmingham
- South East – Epsom and London
As a Graduate Engineer, your activities are likely to include:
- Undertaking a variety of project work relating to road or rail technology projects under the direction of Project Manager(s)
- Developing user requirements through discussion with Clients, other stakeholders and the wider Project Team
- Undertaking site visits to collect and then analyse relevant data
- Supervising/Manage the installation and testing of equipment
- Production of safety critical software confirming to EN50128
- Preparing documents and drawings in accordance with the requirements of our Business and Quality Assurance Systems, Relevant Standards and Codes of Practice
- Liaising with internal and external Design Teams, Clients and Contractors as appropriate
- Reviewing policy documents and guidance notes
- Writing technical notes and project reports for clients
- Working with colleagues and clients to develop new innovative transport solutions
- Supporting clients in delivering their strategic and operational objectives
- Undertaking complex investigations into failed equipment either on site or a laboratory environment
Who we’re looking for
- You’ll be a talented graduate with a bachelor’s (2.1 or above) or masters (2.2 or above) degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical and/or Electronic Engineering, Control Systems Engineering, Forensic Engineering, Materials Science, IT or Physics. Other relevant subjects will also be considered. You’ll also have:
- Drive and determination to achieve Chartered Status and membership of relevant professional bodies
- Confidence working on your own initiative and as part of multidisciplinary teams
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to analyse problems, create innovative solutions and manage your time effectively
- A flexible approach to travel as our projects and training may take you to a variety of locations in the UK and possibly abroad
- The ability to work in areas outside of your immediate skill set, which may require rapid adaptation to new surroundings.
- Prepared to undergo a medical assessment, as some roles may involve working out on site
Having taken on a minimum of 250 graduates consistently every year for the past 5 years, with the aspiration of recruiting 500 graduates this year, Atkins prides itself on a strong graduate community, that gives our graduates a voice. To get a real feel for our graduate culture or learn about what makes life at Atkins so great – just select the handle from your favourite social media platform or take a look #insideatkin
- Like us on Facebook: InsideAtkins
- Follow us on Twitter: @InsideAtkins
- Add us on Snapchat: AtkinsNextGen
- Follow us on Instagram: atkins_global
- Follow us on LinkedIn: Atkins
- Watch us on YouTube: Early Careers
Rewards & Benefits
When you join our Transportation team, you’ll be empowered to be the professional you want to be, working on projects you feel proud of. You will be part of an international team, making a real difference to the world around you and leaving a lasting legacy for future generations. As you move through our structured development programme and experience the breadth of our expertise, you could take your career in any number of different directions, working on some of the most technically challenging projects of our generation. Some of our benefits, to name a few, include
- A settling in payment of £2,500 when you join – paid within the first month
- Continuous support and mentoring to achieve chartered status with your chosen institution, funded by Atkins. With a chartership/accreditation bonus of £2,500 once attained
- A robust career development plan, including a library of core learning modules and on the job technical training.
- 25 days annual leave, plus bank holidays, with the option to buy up to 15 additional days leave per year
- 2 volunteer days per year for you to use for a cause that matters to you
- Local graduate forums & a strong graduate network across all locations
- Annual events, such as our 2-day graduate induction, ski trips, away weekends, team building activities
How to apply
To apply for this role, please select the ‘apply now’ button below. Full guidance on our application process can be found here. Please note that some roles may be available for immediate start.
Our deadline for applications is Wednesday 2nd January 2019. Due to the popularity of some of our programmes we may shut before this deadline, therefore to avoid disappointment we would advise applying as early as possible.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.