Transportation - Digital Asset Management Industrial Year Placement (2019)
Do you want to work on some of the most prestigious, innovative and demanding construction projects within the transportation sector? From Crossrail to HS2, to managing the M25 and construction of a new motorway around Newport to ease congestion and on to London’s Heathrow Airport and the London Underground network.
In Digital Asset Management, we help our road, rail, water and energy customers to get the most out of their infrastructure assets. We provide the information they need to make key plans and decisions about the future, such as when to invest in their assets and what maintenance activities to prioritise. We help clients understand their data and bring it to life, using tools such as FME and Tableau.
We also advise clients on the implementation of national guidance and best practice, such as the uptake of risk-based approaches to asset management. This often involves working closely with clients to understand their needs and aspirations, followed by developing and implementing improvement or transformation plans. The projects we work on are varied, dynamic and stimulating, providing plenty of opportunity for new challenges and personal growth.
Our practice operates where the digital world collides with our physical environment and as a result we're facing a wave of opportunity to use our skills in new ways. Our team is responding by growing and shaping the future of transportation. We welcome applications from a broad range of degree disciplines, so whatever your background, you can enjoy some fantastic opportunities as part of our team.
Where you’ll be based
Our placements are available in following locations: Aldershot, Birmingham, Cambridge, Croydon and Manchester.
What you’ll be doing
The sub-roles below describe in more detail the work you will be doing when you join our team. These are not rigid work descriptions, as our team works across disciplines to deliver great services to our clients. If one or more of these appeal to you, we would love to hear from you.
• Providing advice to infrastructure owners in the development of their asset management policies, strategies, and overall improvement plans to achieve efficient asset management
• Providing technical and contractual advice to Local Authorities, Department for Transport and Strategic Transport Authorities across the UK
• Working with infrastructure owners to help them assess risk and improve the resilience of their networks and their assets
• Developing and producing national asset management guidance
• Working as part of strategic change, service redesign or improvement programmes focused on asset management
• Working with strategic and local transport authorities to better understand the value of the assets they own
• Improve data-led decision making and to challenge current ways of working with our own digital tools and approaches
• Development and implementation of new approaches to management, use and application of data and software
• Data analysis, evaluation, and reporting
• Interpretation and write-up of analysis results
Rail Asset Management:
• Working at national and route level with a range of rail clients to influence asset management approaches, planning and delivery
• Playing an active delivery role in developing new approaches to data collection, interpretation and influencing better client decisions
• Data analysis, evaluation, and reporting
• Strategic support to key clients supporting changes in their asset management approaches, change programmes and maintenance planning
• Pavement Team
- Detailed pavement design delivering lowest whole life cost
- Pavement rehabilitation assessment
- Research & development in materials performance
- Development of asset management approaches for pavements
- Implementation of decision support tools and lifecycle planning
• Structures Team
- Development of structures asset management approaches, guidance and strategy
- Innovation in inspection, understanding and decision support tools
• Development of asset management technical excellence to support consultancy projects
• UK-wide travel to our client’s offices or other Atkins locations to collaborate on project delivery
• Occasional site work, such as data collection or supervision of construction or maintenance activities
All our roles involve engaging with clients and contributing to tenders and business development activities. Some of our placement students also choose to become involved in project management, assisting with activities such as budgeting, allocation of resources and financial monitoring.
Who we’re looking for:
• Undergraduates on track to achieve a bachelor’s (2.1 or above) or masters (2.2 or above) in Civil Engineering, Maths, Economics or Computer Science.
• An interest in and a willingness to embrace digital technologies, recognising opportunities where they can help us and our clients work more efficiently
• Passionate about helping clients make better informed, data-driven decisions, applying the latest analytical and digital tools
• Prepared to thrive in a busy, innovative and challenging environment
• Confident working on your own initiative and as part of multidisciplinary teams
• A good communicator who can analyse problems, create innovative solutions and manage your time effectively
• Prepared to undergo a medical assessment, as some roles may involve working on site
To get a real feel for our culture or learn about what makes life at Atkins so great – just select the handle from your favorite social media platform and take a look #insideatkins
Rewards & Benefits
When you join our Transportation team, you’ll be empowered to be the professional you want to be, working on projects you feel proud of. You will be part of an international team, making a real difference to the world around you and leaving a lasting legacy for future generations.
Our benefits, to name a few, include:
• dedicated support from your line manager who will create personalised objectives with you, so you can get the most out of your time with us to support you with your studies and beyond
• our top performing placement students have the opportunity to be nominated straight onto our Graduate Development Programme