Transportation - Quantity Surveying Summer and Industrial Year Placements (2019)
Do you want to work on some of the most prestigious, innovative and demanding construction projects within the transportation sector? From Crossrail to HS2, to managing the M25 and construction of a new motorway around Newport to ease congestion and on to London’s Heathrow Airport and the London Underground network.
As one of the world’s leading transportation contractors providing design consultancy and construction services to many of the UK’s largest clients and major contractors our cutting-edge independent advice and innovative design enables our clients to turn ideas into reality and deliver their most important transportation projects and programmes. You can help us lead the way.
You’ll be motivated with a positive attitude and enjoy working with others, sometimes directly at client sites, sometimes from our offices, and always seeking to be forward thinking and going the extra mile to help us maintain our excellent performance.
Where you’ll be based:
Our Summer and Industrial Year placements are available in Bristol.
What you’ll be doing
At Atkins, we’re a people business, a people business that wants to make a positive difference; a difference to the communities in which we live and operate, our projects, and the careers of our talented workforce. Our placement students are the next generation of that workforce – they’re our future experts, and Atkins is committed to providing training and development to ensure that they, like all Atkins staff, have the best opportunity to fulfil their potential.
You’ll join us as an undergraduate Quantity Surveyor providing cost and commercial support to our project teams. Our Quantity Surveyors work on a wide variety of transportation schemes, including rail and signalling upgrades, new road bridges and tunnels, station upgrades, new motorway developments and improvements, intelligent mobility projects, the list is endless! You will learn to support design teams, ensuring projects are designed within our budget and managing change and you will work with contractors, on site, managing construction costs for our design and build contracts. You will learn to be confident, a good communicator, problem solving and will develop your mathematical ability. You will be given the opportunity to grow, with a wide variety of projects to work on with an experienced, high performing team, to learn from.
Who we’re looking for
• Undergraduates on track to achieve a bachelors (2.1 or above) or masters (2.2 or above) in Quantity Surveying or similar. We would also accept applications from candidates studying law/legal disciplines.
• You’ll have ambition, vision, enthusiasm and the drive to keep on developing your technical skills and achieve professional status.
• With a passion for working in a consultancy environment, you’ll want to work with customers and with teams who deliver to their customers and you’ll be adaptable and happy to cope with uncertainty.
• Communication and team-working will be your key skills as well as having the ability to apply your technical knowledge to analyse problems and create innovative solutions.
• A flexible approach to travel is required as our projects and training may take you to a variety of locations.
• We may also require you to undergo a medical assessment, as some projects may Involve working on site.
To get a real feel for our culture or learn about what makes life at Atkins so great – just select the handle from your favorite social media platform and take a look #insideatkins
Benefits & Rewards
When you join our Transportation team, you’ll be empowered to be the professional you want to be, working on projects you feel proud of. You will be part of an international team, making a real difference to the world around you and leaving a lasting legacy for future generations.
Our benefits, to name a few, include:
• dedicated support from your line manager who will create personalised objectives with you, so you can get the most out of your time with us to support you with your studies and beyond
• our top performing placement students have the opportunity to be nominated straight onto our Graduate Development Programme.