Transportation - Intelligent Mobility and Smart Technologies Industrial Year Placement (2019)
When you join our Intelligent Mobility and Smart Technology (IMST) team as a placement student you’ll become a key player in transforming the future of transport. We are a growing practice of around 80 engineers, consultants and technical specialists, working with emerging technologies to push the boundaries and drive innovation. Our projects range from driverless cars, data exploitation, and transport technologies, to roads of the future, change programmes and urban / inter-urban traffic management. Our team need to look at challenges very differently to connect people and place and this requires a huge variety of skills and capabilities. Providing simple solutions to complex problems, it’s an exciting journey and you can play a lead role.
We have a growing range of clients, and we need many different skills and capabilities to deliver projects for them. We believe that diversity is the key to success and makes us stand out from the crowd, and therefore are searching for undergraduates with a variety of backgrounds to join our team.
Where you’ll be based
Our placements are available in London and Manchester.
What you’ll be doing:
In our team, you will have a role in delivering the technology systems that manage and optimise tomorrow’s transport infrastructure, driving innovative projects from adaptive traffic signals and smart motorways to control centres and real-time passenger information. There is also the opportunity to design proof of concepts and run trials to test what the future of travel will look like. You might have heard of projects called Flourish and Venturer - these are real examples of putting early design driverless cars to the test and tackling the real questions around public acceptance, safety, insurance and end-user experience.
As a placement student, your activities are likely to include:
• Developing our technical offerings and capabilities for IMST-related services
• Supporting client engagement on new transport technologies, such as intelligent infrastructure, integrated platforms, traffic management systems and multi-modal journey planning
• Contributing to new value propositions and testing existing propositions
• Growing skills in technical or project / programme management delivery roles, working with a multi-disciplinary team to deliver a project to time and budget
• Contributing to business development activities, including bidding for new projects with clients
• Developing user requirements through discussion with clients, other stakeholders and the project team
• Writing technical notes and project reports for clients
• Preparing documents and drawings in accordance with client and Atkins’ requirements
Who we’re looking for
• Undergraduate on track to achieve a bachelor’s (2.1 or above) or masters (2.2 or above) across a wide variety of degree disciplines. We are particularly interested in Engineering, Maths, Economics, Geography, Technology, Physics, Chemistry, Social Sciences or Computer science degree disciplines.
We also require:
• Strong communicator with the ability to present
• A driven, goal-oriented individual
• Ability to manage priorities in a high-pressure environment
• Confidence working on your own initiative and as part of multidisciplinary teams
• Ability to analyse problems and provide create innovative solutions
• A curious interest and keen to develop knowledge and experience in transport technologies
• Understanding of the link between winning work, delivering projects, and generating revenue / profit
To get a real feel for our culture or learn about what makes life at Atkins so great – just select the handle from your favorite social media platform and take a look #insideatkins
Benefits & Rewards
When you join our Transportation team, you’ll be empowered to be the professional you want to be, working on projects you feel proud of. You will be part of an international team, making a real difference to the world around you and leaving a lasting legacy for future generations.
Our benefits, to name a few, include:
• dedicated support from your line manager who will create personalized objectives with you, so you can get the most out of your time with us to support you with your studies and beyond
• our top performing placement students have the opportunity to be nominated straight onto our Graduate Development Programme.