Nuclear & Power - Environmental Summer Placements (2019)
We are the team that engineer, deliver, manage and decommission nuclear facilities worldwide, using the latest technology solutions to ensure the lights stay on and the world remains a safe place.
Our power business has been delivering electrical, civil and structural engineering services to the global power sector for over 20 years. We’re now leaning into new energy challenges such as offshore generation and transmission, energy from waste, electric vehicle infrastructure and the integration of smart grid technology - helping to drive evolution in the power sector.
With an unwavering commitment to safety, quality and efficiency, we are well positioned to add value to today’s challenges of delivering the next generation of nuclear power plants while at the same time maintaining the existing generating ﬂeet and safely decommissioning legacy facilities. We’re now looking to the future, working with Small Modular Reactor (SMR) developers to advance new designs and developing digital applications, such as virtual and augmented reality, for the nuclear industry.
What could you be doing
Our environmental teams in Bristol and Whitehaven work on radioactive waste management, radiological protection and UK nuclear environmental legislation across new build, generation and decommissioning markets in the nuclear industry. We provide solutions to our clients to ensure they safely manage radioactive waste, and protect their workers, the public and the environment from radiation exposure and contamination. We are instrumental in the delivery of environmental permit applications for nuclear new build operators and we utilise our UK regulatory requirement expertise to support nuclear reactor vendors through their Generic Design Applications. We also provide permitting support and advice for other types of sites. Some of our key clients include Sellafield, EDF generation, NNB GenCo, Horizon Nuclear Power and Magnox. You will learn how workers, the public and the environment are kept safe in the nuclear industry, and apply your knowledge to recommending solutions in line with UK best practice and environmental legislation to make sure this happens. We are looking for candidates on track to achieve an Environmental Science degree ideally, or a Physics/Chemical/Chemistry with modules in the relevant field.
You could also…
In addition to the responsibilities above you could also be involved in:
• Supporting on some major projects across various areas of Energy from nuclear decommissioning, to offshore, wave and tidal energy
• Reviewing and developing designs to improve plants, equipment, structures and Energy related systems
• Carrying out surveys and site inspections, building strong client relationships
• Using a variety of engineering software packages, as well as 2D and 3D modelling for new designs and modifications
• Producing safety cases, reports and documentation to support the planning, design, operation, maintenance and decommissioning of Energy facilities
• Carrying out design and assessment for new build projects as well as additions, modifications and repairs to existing assets
Who we’re looking for:
• You’ll be on track to achieve a 2.2 Masters/MEng degree in a relevant degree discipline
• You’ll have ambition, vision, enthusiasm and the drive to keep on developing your technical skills
• You’ll have a passion for working in a consultancy environment, you’ll want to work with customers both internally and externally and you’ll be adaptable and happy to cope with change
• Communication and team-working will be your key skills as well as having the ability to apply your technical knowledge to analyse problems and create innovative solutions
To get a real feel for our culture or learn about what makes life at Atkins so great – just select the handle from your favourite social media platform and take a look #insideatkins
Benefits & Rewards
When you join our Nuclear and Power team, you’ll be empowered to be the professional you want to be, working on projects you feel proud of. You will be part of an international team, making a real difference to the world around you and leaving a lasting legacy for future generations.
Our benefits, to name a few, include:
• dedicated support from your line manager who will create personalized objectives with you, so you can get the most out of your time with us to support you with your studies and beyond
• our top performing placement students have the opportunity to be nominated straight onto our Graduate Development Programme.