Nuclear & Power - Civil and Structural Engineering Summer and Industrial Year Placements (2019)
We are the team that engineer, deliver, manage and decommission nuclear facilities worldwide, using the latest technology solutions to ensure the lights stay on and the world remains a safe place.
Our power business has been delivering electrical, civil and structural engineering services to the global power sector for over 20 years. We’re now leaning into new energy challenges such as offshore generation and transmission, energy from waste, electric vehicle infrastructure and the integration of smart grid technology - helping to drive evolution in the power sector.
With an unwavering commitment to safety, quality and efficiency, we are well positioned to add value to today’s challenges of delivering the next generation of nuclear power plants while at the same time maintaining the existing generating ﬂeet and safely decommissioning legacy facilities. We’re now looking to the future, working with Small Modular Reactor (SMR) developers to advance new designs and developing digital applications, such as virtual and augmented reality, for the nuclear industry.
What you’ll be doing
We have opportunities for undergraduates across a range of our Nuclear and Power teams in the UK.
Summer: Bristol, Epsom and Whitehaven.
Industrial Year: Bristol and Epsom.
Bristol - Based in our Bristol office, you could work across many aspects of the Nuclear and other Energy markets, including nuclear new build, generation or decommissioning, and offshore wind. Working for a wide range of our clients, you may have the opportunity to be involved in the design for new build projects, as well as assessment and modification of existing structures. For example, you could find yourself working on some ground-breaking UK new build nuclear projects such as Hinkley Point C or Wylfa Newydd, or those further afield such as ITER in southern France.
Epsom - Based here as a civil or structural placement student, you will find yourself working on projects in the Nuclear and Power Market. Our work varies between carrying out design and analysis for new build projects, modifications, repairs and upgrades to the existing fleet of power stations as well as solving the challenge of nuclear decommissioning. You won’t always be sat at your desk in a design office; lots of our work involves providing consultancy advice or specialist expertise to our clients either in their offices or on their power station sites. Some of our recent work has included the structural design for over 50% of the Hinkley Point C project, demolition studies in support of decommissioning activities and on-site engineering support to the EDF Energy fleet. The work we do is focused on moving the UK towards a low-carbon future and making the world a better place, one project at a time.
Whitehaven - Our offices are perfectly located on the outskirts of the stunning Lake District National Park. Based near Sellafield – one of the world’s most complex nuclear sites, our key client and one of Atkins SNC-Lavalin’s major clients. In our client-facing role, we deliver a wide variety of projects working closely with the client engineering and construction teams. You will gain valuable experience in many areas of civil and structural engineering including the design of new steelwork and reinforced concrete structures to support decommissioning activities. Many of our projects include a construction support role providing the opportunity to gain invaluable site experience and witness the designs you have worked on turn into reality. Our office vision is to be a UK centre of excellence in digital engineering. We have a strong ethos for training and implementing exciting new techniques, striving to increase the efficiency and quality of our technical delivery and impress our clients with visualisation tools (3D animations, VR etc). Now is an exciting time to be part of this vision!
You could also…
In addition to some of the responsibilities you can see above for specific locations, you could also be involved in:
• Carrying out structural design and assessment for new build projects as well as additions, modifications and repairs to existing assets
• Working in partnership with our clients to provide professional consultancy advice, helping them deliver their complex engineering programmes
• Completing feasibility studies
• Carrying out surveys, site inspections and overseeing physical works; building strong client relationships
• Engineering concept and detailed designs
• Using a variety of engineering software packages, as well as 2D and 3D modelling for new designs and modifications
• Supporting nuclear-safety critical projects during construction
• Working alongside a range of professionals including Project Managers, Mechanical, Process, EC&I, and Safety Case Engineers
Who we’re looking for:
• You’ll be on track to achieve a 2.2 Master’s/MEng degree in Civil or Structural engineering
• You’ll have ambition, vision, enthusiasm and the drive to keep on developing your technical skills
• You’ll have a passion for working in a consultancy environment, you’ll want to work with customers both internally and externally and you’ll be adaptable and happy to cope with change
• Communication and team-working will be your key skills as well as having the ability to apply your technical knowledge to analyse problems and create innovative solutions
To get a real feel for our culture or learn about what makes life at Atkins so great – just select the handle from your favourite social media platform and take a look #insideatkins
Benefits & Rewards
When you join our Nuclear and Power team, you’ll be empowered to be the professional you want to be, working on projects you feel proud of. You will be part of an international team, making a real difference to the world around you and leaving a lasting legacy for future generations.
Our benefits, to name a few, include:
• dedicated support from your line manager who will create personalized objectives with you, so you can get the most out of your time with us to support you with your studies and beyond
• our top performing placement students have the opportunity to be nominated straight onto our Graduate Development Programme.