Infrastructure - Environment Summer and Industrial Year Placement (2019)
We deliver innovative solutions to some of the biggest water and environmental challenges of our time. So, we’re looking to develop the skills of the industry experts of the future. Our specialisms include geo-environmental engineering, contaminated land, water management, flood management, waste management, air quality, environmental impact assessments and urban design. This means varied careers for our environmental scientists and engineers, ecologists, hydrogeologists and acousticians.
We offer a world of opportunities, from the projects you’ll work on, to the directions you can take your career in. Whatever your ambitions, we’ve a role to match your passion and degree.
What you’ll be doing and where you'll be based
Learning to become a future business leader, you’ll get involved with activities in one of these specialist teams:
Ecology - summer placement opportunity available in Birmingham
- Our award-winning ecology experts combine technical excellence with a pragmatic approach. Biodiversity and our clients benefit from our innovations. Our clients, both in the UK and worldwide, include national and local governments, leading developers, transport, energy and water providers and international funding agencies. The dynamic and influential relationship between our ecology team and our engineering, planning and design colleagues combined with the support of our unique in-house Academy system provide exceptional opportunities for ecology students to develop both their technical and commercial skills.
Water Management Consultancy - year in industry placements are available in Peterborough and Warrington
- Operating at the interface between people and the water environment, we work with our clients in the UK and around the world in providing innovative design solutions, research and advisory services for a sustainable future. Our key services include: water resources and water quality planning; flood risk management and hydraulic flood modelling, hydrogeology and hydrology; integrated catchment management; aquatic ecology; hydromorphology; river restoration; climate futures and resilience; environmental, hydraulic and civil engineering; coastal and marine environmental management; environmental and economic appraisal; regulation and assurance; strategic asset management; data analytics. We're at the forefront of new developments for the Water Industry and have created new tools and approaches that are revolutionising how we plan for resilient and sustainable water management for the future. We need you to help us build on this success.
Planning & Environmental Consenting - summer placements are available in Epsom, and Warrington
- Through the successful delivery of planning and environmental consents we help our clients make the right decisions in a complex and fast-paced world in order to realise the value in their assets. Our expertise in policy, regulation and delivery allows us to influence regulators and decision makers, ensuring that we deliver sustainable and positive client outcomes across markets both in the UK and overseas. Here you’ll make a big impact across a range of services including; planning; development consent orders, economics, environmental impact assessment, stakeholder engagement, environmental management, environmental permitting, heritage, carbon and sustainability and waste and resource management. Your ideas and knowledge will help our customers to make the most of their assets and minimise their environmental impact.
Contaminated Land & Hydrogeology - summer placements are available in Birmingham, Exeter, Epsom/London and Leeds
- The Contaminated Land and Hydrogeology Practice is a well-established multi-disciplinary environmental and engineering practice with an extensive portfolio of projects. We have a number of national frameworks and have considerable experience working with numerous local authorities on due diligence and peer review projects and private clients/developers on the investigation, assessment, remediation and redevelopment of brownfield land. We're looking for highly motivated undergraduates to work on risk assessments, brownfield land regeneration, regulatory engagement, project management and to help deliver the high standard of geo-environmental consultancy services for which we are renowned.
Who we’re looking for
• be a talented undergraduate on track to achieve a 2.1 degree or above in environmental science, ecology, geology, hydrology, flood risk or a relevant scientific, design or engineering discipline
• be confident working on your own initiative and as part of multidisciplinary teams
• have good communication skills and the ability to collaborate with a variety of colleagues and become a trusted customer adviser
• be able to analyse problems, create innovative solutions and make sound decisions in a competitive and commercial environment
• possess keen attention to detail and the drive to keep on learning
• ideally be skilled in computer programming and modelling
To get a real feel for our culture or learn about what makes life at Atkins so great – just select the handle from your favourite social media platform and take a look #insideatkins
Rewards and Benefits
If you join us you will be working on some of the most challenging engineering projects of our time, helping to shape the future of Infrastructure. You'll have opportunities to work closely with clients, spending time within their organisations and taking learning from some of the most experienced engineers in the industry.
Some of our benefits, to name a few, include:
• dedicated support from your line manager who will create personalised objectives with you, so you can get the most out of your time with us to support you with your studies and beyond
• our top performing placement students have the opportunity to be nominated straight onto our Graduate Development Programme