Infrastructure - Ground Engineering, Tunnelling and Underground Space Summer Placement (2019)
As an Engineering Geologist, Geotechnical or Tunnelling Engineering placement student you could be involved in one of the most exciting sectors in civil and environmental engineering.
With an impressive portfolio of prestigious and diverse geotechnical projects worldwide, you could help us to design and construct new and innovative infrastructure (such as mass transit systems, tunnelling and power supply), geohazard, underground storage and offshore geotechnics. Together we share knowledge and create a better, more sustainable future for all by safeguarding our natural resources. We offer a world of opportunities, from the projects you’ll work on, to the directions you can take your career in.
Join us in our vision to be the world’s best Infrastructure Consultancy, working with a broad range of clients to influence policy, future technology and global sustainability.
What you’ll be doing and where you'll be based
Our industry leading Infrastructure Academy is the ideal place to start your career. At its heart, being in the academy will mean you’re part of a dynamic technical community with access to the latest thinking and developments in your field.
As a placement student, you’ll be joining one of the following teams:
Ground Engineering – summer placements are available in Birmingham, Bristol, Cambridge, Cardiff, Croydon, Derby, Epsom/London, and Glasgow
Our Ground Engineering team provides world class geotechnical and engineering geology services to infrastructure and global energy clients, focusing around the engineering behaviour of the ground for complex new build and asset life extension projects. You’ll get involved in a broad range of activities including site investigation, 3D ground modelling, geohazard & terrain evaluation, earth structures, foundation design and ground improvement, in both the onshore and offshore environments.
Tunnelling and Underground Space - summer placements are available in Epsom and London
Our Tunnelling and Underground Space team provides technically excellent engineering design of tunnelling, underground, and heavy infrastructure, particularly focused on mass transit, rail and major project programmes. Our team have expertise in assessment of ground movements, design of complex foundations and ‘ground-contacting’ structures, in addition to the assessment of ventilation and fire life safety aspects of utilising underground space. Here you’ll get the opportunity to take on a wide range of interesting activities, including site work, design, asset impact assessments, life cycle/risk assessments and project management.
Who we’re looking for
• be a talented undergraduate predicted a 2.1 degree or above in Civil Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering, Engineering Geology or equivalent - accredited by the appropriate institution
• be confident working on your own initiative and as part of multidisciplinary teams
• have good communication skills and the ability to collaborate with a variety of colleagues and become a trusted customer adviser
• be able to analyse problems, create innovative solutions and make sound decisions in a competitive and commercial environment
• possess keen attention to detail and the drive to keep on learning
• have the ambition, vision, enthusiasm and the drive to keep on developing your technical skills
• be flexible in your approach to travel as our projects and training may take you to a variety of locations in the UK
To get a real feel for our culture or learn about what makes life at Atkins so great – just select the handle from your favourite social media platform and take a look #insideatkins
Rewards and Benefits
If you join us you'll be working on some of the most challenging engineering projects of our time, helping to shape the future of Infrastructure. You'll have opportunities to work closely with clients, spending time within their organisations and taking learning from some of the most experienced engineers in the industry.
Some of our benefits, to name a few, include:
• dedicated support from your line manager who will create personalised objectives with you, so you can get the most out of your time with us to support you with your studies and beyond
• our top performing placement students have the opportunity to be nominated straight onto our Graduate Development Programme