Infrastructure - Civil and Structural Engineering Summer and Industrial Year Placements (2019)
As a Civil or Structural Engineering placement student, you’ll be helping to support the technical aspects of civil engineering and multidisciplinary designs across a range of challenging and exciting projects in the UK and internationally.
Whether it’s an airport, a transport interchange, a university campus, a nuclear power station or the world’s first tidal lagoon, you’ll help us to deliver outstanding projects that respond to the needs and resources of a contemporary world. Whatever your ambitions we’ve a role to match your passion and degree.
Join us in our vision to be the world’s best Infrastructure Consultancy, working with a broad range of clients to influence policy, future technology and global sustainability.
What you’ll be doing
As a Civil or Structural Engineering placement student, you’ll be joining one of the following teams:
Civil Engineering and Advanced Technology
- Our Civil Engineering team creates all kinds of infrastructure systems, ranging from power supply, water and wastewater, marinas to power stations, private developments and industrial facilities. You could get involved in the design of a wide variety of water and wastewater projects, buildings and structures, tunnels, ports, dams, hydraulic systems, rail/road and nuclear infrastructure. You could even find yourself producing specialist blast or seismically classified heavy civil engineering designs.
We also offer exciting opportunities to work in one of two specialist areas (Please clearly state on your application if one of these is of specific interest):
- Studying a Masters in civil or mechanical engineering, you’ll get involved in a variety of fields from structural dynamics and seismic engineering to stress, thermal and fatigue analysis. Our engineering technology team specialises in advanced computer-based structural and dynamic analysis using finite element analysis software to predict the behaviour of civil, structural and mechanical hardware.
- Studying a Master’s degree in civil engineering, you will get the exciting opportunity to work within our design team on a wide variety of water and wastewater projects. Our team of Water Engineers specialises in leading and supporting the technical aspects of water engineering and multidisciplinary designs across a range of projects, principally within existing water frameworks, major strategic projects and development infrastructure projects. If water engineering is your passion, we want to hear from you!
- Our Building Structures team provides technically excellent digital engineering solutions in the built environment. Our capabilities include the design of complex structures in steel, concrete, timber and other cutting-edge materials. You’ll get involved in detailed technical analysis, assessments and design on the most sensitive and complex structures in our industry. We design and deliver these services on a wide range of prestigious projects, in the Aviation, Cities and Development, Transport, Defence and Energy markets in the UK and internationally.
Rivers, Dams and Maritime
- Our Rivers, Dams and Maritime team provides end to end infrastructure engineering to a diverse array of projects. Our services range from harnessing water’s true power from vast dam retaining structures and safely routing raging rivers through our towns, to taming the seas' effects on our coasts and ports. Here you’ll get the chance to apply your skills – maritime, civil, infrastructure or structural – in the delivery of our broad project work, of a national and international nature, enabling clients to manage their assets and operations more efficiently and safely through an integrated approach, bringing order into our changing world.
- Our Ground Engineering team provides world class geotechnical and engineering geology services to infrastructure and global energy clients, focusing around the engineering behaviour of the ground for complex new build and asset life extension projects. You’ll get involved in a broad range of activities including site investigation, 3D ground modelling, geohazard & terrain evaluation, earth structures, foundation design and ground improvement, in both the onshore and offshore environments.
Tunnelling and Underground Space
- Our Tunnelling and Underground Space team provides technically excellent engineering design of tunnelling, underground, and heavy infrastructure, particularly focused on mass transit, rail and major project programmes. Our team have expertise in assessment of ground movements, design of complex foundations and ‘ground-contacting’ structures, in addition to the assessment of ventilation and fire life safety aspects of utilising underground space. Here you’ll get the opportunity to take on a wide range of interesting activities, including site work, design, asset impact assessments, life cycle/risk assessments and project management.
Water Management Consultancy
- Operating at the interface between people and the water environment, we work with our clients in the UK and around the world in developing and implementing innovative engineering solutions for the water environment. You will be working in a multidisciplinary team where science and engineering are working hand in hand developing sustainable solutions that enhance the natural environment. Our key engineering services includes hydraulic and civil engineering to support flood risk and coastal management strategies, strategic water resource planning, and asset management for water sector clients.
Where you’ll be based
Atkins Infrastructure have opportunities in the following teams based across the UK:
- Civil Engineering and Advanced Technology - Summer placements are available in Belfast, Birmingham, Bristol, Derby, Epsom, Exeter, Glasgow, London, Newcastle and Warrington. Opportunities for the Engineering Technology specialist area will be based in Epsom.
- Year in industry placements are available in Birmingham, Bristol, Epsom, London and Warrington.
- Building Structures – Summer placements are available at the following locations: Bristol, Glasgow and London. Year in industry placements are available in Bristol, Epsom, Glasgow, London and Oxford.
- Rivers, Dams and Maritime – Summer placements are available in Peterborough and Swansea.
- Ground Engineering – Summer placements are available in Belfast, Birmingham, Bristol, Cambridge, Cardiff, Croydon, Derby, Epsom, Glasgow, Leeds, London and Warrington
- Tunnelling and Underground Space – Summer placements are available in Epsom and London
- Water Management Consultancy – Year in industry placements are available in Peterborough and Warrington
Who we’re looking for
• be a talented undergraduate who is predicted a 2.2 or above MEng/MSc degree (or equivalent) in Civil or Structural Engineering, but we’ll also consider undergraduates expecting a 2.1 or above BEng/BSc for our Water Management Consultancy
• have a good written standard of English and verbal communication skills
• be able to apply your technical knowledge to analyse problems and create innovative solutions
• possess the ambition, vision, enthusiasm and the drive to keep on developing your technical skills
• be interested in developing the application of computer programming and other digital solutions to engineering problems
• have strong interpersonal and team working skills
• be flexible in your approach to travel as our projects and training may take you to a variety of locations in the UK
To get a real feel for our culture or learn about what makes life at Atkins so great – just select the handle from your favourite social media platform and take a look #insideatkins
Rewards and Benefits
If you join us you will be working on some of the most challenging engineering projects of our time, helping to shape the future of Infrastructure. You will have opportunities to work closely with clients, spending time within their organisations and taking learning from some of the most experienced engineers in the industry.
Some of our benefits, to name a few, include:
• dedicated support from your line manager who will create personalised objectives with you, so you can get the most out of your time with us to support you with your studies and beyond
• our top performing placement students have the opportunity to be nominated straight onto our Graduate Development Programme