Aerospace, Defence, Security & Technology - Mechanical Engineering Industrial Year Placement (2019)
Joining SNC-Lavalin Atkins on our Aerospace, Defence, Security and Technology (ADS&T) Division will mean you that you are able to work with teams across mission critical industries, to contribute to the security and resilience of the nation, or to exploit advanced technology to help clients to not only meet, but embrace these exciting times. They work with leading names to transform the future of aerospace engineering and create lighter, quieter and more fuel-efficient aircraft. The security team is trusted by organisations to help them understand the threats they are facing and develop the strategies to counter them.
At SNC-Lavalin Atkins we offer a world of opportunities, from the projects you’ll work on, to the directions you can take your career.
Our aerospace, defence, security and technology (ADS&T) team works on all kinds of ground breaking projects from submarines to aircraft to cyber security. Our clients represent some of the biggest names in the UK’s fastest moving industries. Each of them faces an exciting future with potential disruption, threats and opportunities resulting from the convergence of the physical and digital worlds.
What you’ll be doing
Mechanical, aerospace or systems engineering; advanced materials, finite element analysis, design or software – whatever your passion, you'll be joining a high-end engineering team working on ground breaking projects.
Within the team, you could be expected to travel across the UK working on projects including aircraft design and future defence projects. Working across design, systems engineering and structural analysis, we're looking for people who are digitally equipped to face the future needs of the market and keen to diversify and adapt in an ever-changing environment. By joining a global company with opportunities across different businesses you truly can shape your future, aim high and achieve great things. You can help support the business through developing new innovative ways of working and will be supported in maximising your potential at every opportunity.
Where you’ll be based
You'll be able to select either Bristol or Glasgow as your home office (please be aware that Glasgow only accepts Mechanical/Aerospace Engineers) and you will be required to be UK mobile based on project requirements.
Who we’re looking for
• be an undergraduate with a predicted 2:1 or above (Masters) in any of the following disciplines:
- Aerospace Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Marine/Naval Engineering
- General Engineering
- Electronic Engineering
• be proactive – able to work on your own initiative and as part of multidisciplinary inclusive teams
• be good communicator who can collaborate with a variety of colleagues and become a trusted customer adviser
• be a lateral thinker who can apply technical knowledge to analyse problems, create innovative solutions and who isn’t afraid to push boundaries
• be able to show initiative or ask for guidance when you need it
• be customer focused and commercially aware with a strong attention to detail
• possess vision, the drive to keep on learning, and the desire to be inclusive
To get a real feel for our culture or learn about what makes life at Atkins so great – just select the handle from your favourite social media platform and take a look #insideatkins
Rewards and Benefits
Some of our benefits, to name a few, include:
• dedicated support from your line manager who will create personalised objectives with you, so you can get the most out of your time with us to support you with your studies and beyond
• our top performing placement students have the opportunity to be nominated straight onto our Graduate Development Programme