Graduate Software Developer in Test
Here at Sparx we're using a scientific and research-based approach that takes the guesswork out of education. Through data and real-world classroom observation, we're investigating what makes the best learning experience in order to improve educational outcomes for students, today and tomorrow.
Our platform for Maths uses custom-built content and a powerful, data-driven web and mobile framework to deliver a tailored set of exercises, games and incentives that are redefining the limits of what young people can achieve.
We’re looking for people with a real passion for education and a belief in the power of technology to improve it; people who want a challenge and people who want to make a difference.
You’ll use your skills and expertise to help bolster, improve and optimise our testing process to ensure robustness of the Sparx system. You’ll be working directly with developers and quality assurance engineers, immersing yourself into our Agile/SCRUM environment.
If you’ve got a strong academic background in a technical subject, experience with programming languages, outstanding communication skills and a passion for technology, you’ll relish this opportunity.
- Performing quality reviews to ensure solutions meet our high standards.
- Providing early feedback from exploratory testing to resolve issues as soon as possible.
- Logging, retesting and closing bugs, reproducing and debugging issues and providing
- developers with good bug reports.
- Helping to maintain our testing and demonstration infrastructure and hardware.
- Designing and implementing automated tests.
- Working with the wider Sparx team to ensure the product is the best it can be.
- Providing support to your team – offering technical guidance and support.
- Being positive and infectiously enthusiastic about the values and vision of Sparx.
You may be graduating in 2017 or have recently graduated, but you’re insatiably curious and love learning. You’re passionate about technology so you’ll be confident using our unique system and using your strong communication skills to explain to others how it works. A creative thinker, you’ll possess the ability to conceive of all possible test cases and then utilise your technical expertise to formulate them. You’ll enjoy the challenge of tracking down and reproducing tricky bugs, using whatever technology is most appropriate to the task at hand.
No two days are the same, so you’ll be able to work under pressure and be comfortable in a fastpaced technical environment with constantly changing priorities and a fluctuating workload. Multitasking, organisation and problem solving are your strengths and you have a strong teamwork ethic.
You’ll also be able to get going of your own accord, a true self-starter using your initiative to get stuff done. You have the ability to focus on your work without losing sight of what’s going on around you and the wider company objectives.
We like a good list, so here’s an overview of some of the specific skills and experience we’re looking for:
- Experience of coding in one or more of the following: Python, C, C++, C#, Objective C, R, MATLAB, SAS, SQL, Java, Ruby, HTML/CSS/JS
- A minimum 2:1 degree in a technical or scientific discipline
- A passion and aptitude for technology
- Proactive, enthusiastic and energetic
- Tenacious and resilient
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience of working with source control and automated build and test systems
- Experience of testing mobile applications and web platforms
- Knowledge of testing in an Agile environment
- Experience of working with JIRA
- Ability to use Apple hardware, including Mac laptops and iPads
- Previous tutoring or mentoring experience
We’re about living life, not putting it on hold. Our generous benefits include substantial holiday leave and the chance to join our company pension. We have a range of on-site facilities for all employees to use free of charge. On site we have a netball court, a five-a-side football pitch, a running track, a pool table, an Olympic table tennis table, as well as an on-site gym with classes throughout the day. Our café serves delicious, local organic food. Did we mention it’s all free? On top of this you’ll have great views from your office window of the foothills of Dartmoor and boats out at sea on the horizon, with the beach just 20 minutes away. Plus, we’re constantly organising events and activities to support our charities, and to socialise. Our work is serious but we’re all about having fun while we do it!
How to apply
If you think you’ve got what it takes then tell us about yourself by applying now. You can apply online by visiting our careers site.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!