Chemistry Technician (Chemistry/Materials Science) - Year-Long Placement
STFC offers you an opportunity to gain paid practical experience as part of your degree. Each year STFC recruit up to 45 sandwich students who are able to use and develop the skills they’ve acquired at university in a working environment, providing learning on the job and working on real projects alongside expert scientists and engineers. Learning new skills to help in their further studies.
List of Duties / Responsibilities
- Perform materials testing on composite materials including at low temperatures
- Assist in running of the lab waste chemicals service
- Assembly and test of components for advanced superconducting magnet systems.
Personal Skills and Attributes
- A strong awareness of chemical safety
- Ability to use MS office including accurately entering information into a database
- Ability to perform internet searches for chemical safety information
- A strong interest in chemistry and material science
- Methodical working habits
- Happy to work on one’s own
- Enjoy manual light manual work.
- Strong numeracy skills and ability to use spreadsheets to calculate materials testing results.
- A Level Chemistry (or equivalent)
- A Level Physics (or equivalent)
Knowledge/Skills and Experience
Essential: Good basic chemical handling skills
Desirable: Some interest in engineering / physics, preferably with some practical experience.
Personal skills & qualities
- Good communication skills
- Demonstrate good team working capabilities
- The willingness to learn new skills, both technical and non-technical
- Open minded and flexible in relation to the type of work assigned to them
- Ability to work systematically, to organise systems, work with databases.
- To enjoy learning new techniques & handling complex equipment
- Work will involve using known sensitisers. Candidate should not suffer from dermatitis, or be otherwise sensitive to chemicals.
- Some manual handling skills
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!