Graduate Electricity Power System Engineer, System Operator - National Grid
- You must have, or be predicted to gain, a 2:2 degree classification or above in the one of the following subjects: Maths, Physics, Electrical, Electronic or Mechanical Engineering degree.
- This programme consists of rotational placements and therefore you must be willing to relocate as and when the programme requires.
About the Role
As a Power System Engineer Graduate within the System Operator, you’ll play a key role in ensuring the lights stay on.
Within an Operation team you could be working close to the control rooms through analysing real-time system behaviour, simulating network issues and ensuring the control room have the tools and processes they need to maintain network security and the balance of supply and demand.
Within a Planning team you could find yourself defining the long-term strategy for our energy industry by simulating long term network behaviour, assessing extreme scenarios and helping design the network of tomorrow.
Key Tasks and Areas of Work
- Assessing how our networks should be upgraded and expanded.
- Developing algorithms to work out energy demand for next week.
- Assessing worst case network faults so we can maintain our security standards.
- Integrating new tools into our control rooms so staff can manage complex scenarios, such as increasing amounts of renewable energy connecting to the network.
- Working with all GB transmission owners to ensure our network simulation models are up-to-date and accurate.
- Providing a compelling, transparent view of future network capability, the issues associated with rapidly changing supply and demand patterns and the necessary development and implementation of innovative solutions.
- All technical analysis necessary to offshore electricity network design.
- Assessing system access and maintenance plans to ensure the system can be operated both securely and economically.
- Ensuring the compliance & reliability of a range of existing and future generation connections.
- Managing the technical aspects of electricity frameworks (both GB and Europe).
Whatever your specific responsibilities, you’ll be surrounded by the leading experts in the industry who are solving some of the biggest energy challenges we have ever seen. The knowledge and understanding of how we keep the lights on that can be understood only within the System Operator have been the foundations for the careers of many of our company leaders.
Disabilities and Reasonable Adjustments
If you consider yourself to have a disability, long term health condition and/or require any reasonable adjustments to complete any part of our application process, please make us aware as soon as possible so we can make the relevant adjustments.
Please also contact us if you require this, or any other document in an alternative format such as large print, braille, audio or easy read.
Telephone: 01926 654630