Graduate Market Fundamentals Analyst, National Grid Ventures
You must have, or be predicted to gain, a 2:2 degree classification or above in the one of the following subjects: Engineering, Finance, Business & Computing related or Numerical related degree.
To apply for this role, you must hold a valid full UK car driving licence.
This programme consists of rotational placements and therefore you must be willing to relocate as and when the programme requires.
About the Role
As a Market Fundamentals Analyst, you are responsible for understanding the UK/EU energy markets, identifying risks and opportunities within the energy markets (wholesale, ancillary, capacity, balancing). Do you think you could do this for National Grid? Yes? Great, then you will be carrying out analysis to quantify these risks and opportunities, and sharing the analysis with stakeholders.
We can already tell that you enjoy working with spreadsheets, and guess what? You’ll be creating bespoke spreadsheets to carry out in depth analysis as and when required as well as using programs such as PLEXOS to model the energy market in detail. So, you’ll have a good overall understanding, however you will be responsible for market intelligence and detailed analysis on specifics countries, companies and topics within the UK/EU. We think you’re up for the challenge.
Key Tasks and Areas of Work
- Assist with the maintenance of Market Fundamentals in-house PLEXOS power market model, ensuring it is fit for purpose, fully documented, calibrated and verified (training will be provided).
- Specify and deliver model runs to support projects through reviews and investment decisions, to identify and develop new business s opportunities and support business planning. Present outcomes of this analysis to Strategy/Market Fundamentals/project management and leadership.
- Contribute to the implementation of a process for model updates, version control and output traces.
- Contribute to other market modelling activity within the Market Fundamentals team and to the development and maintenance of European Power Market Scenarios.
- Articulate and explain market model outputs to internal stakeholders.
- Contribute to the development and maintenance a detailed and up to date list of market assumptions covering demand, levels of interconnection, interconnector availability, etc. ensuring suitability for input into revenue models.
- Responsible for maintaining data required for back-testing models.
The energy market knowledge gained within the role forms a firm basis for easily picking up any commercial role.
You will gain significant knowledge on using PLEXOS and other computer models which is used worldwide to understand energy markets. You will attend the annual PLEXOS conference with the opportunity to present if desired. The role exposes you to stakeholders from across NG as well as NGV.
Disabilities and Reasonable Adjustments
If you consider yourself to have a disability, long term health condition and/or require any reasonable adjustments to complete any part of our application process, please make us aware as soon as possible so we can make the relevant adjustments.
Please also contact us if you require this, or any other document in an alternative format such as large print, braille, audio or easy read.