Graduate Gas Technical Engineer, System Operator
About the Role
As a Technical Gas Graduate within the System Operator, you’ll play a key role in ensuring the gas keeps flowing, safely and reliably. Within one of our Operation teams you will see yourself working closely with the control room, through analysing system behaviour, simulating network issues and ensuring the control room have the tools and processes they need to maintain network security and balance supply and demand.
Within the Planning team you will find yourself defining the long term strategy for our energy industry by simulating long term network behaviour, assessing extreme scenarios and helping design the network of tomorrow.
You must have, or be predicted to gain, a 2:2 degree classification or above in the one of the following subjects: Engineering, Physics or Maths degree.
This programme consists of rotational placements and therefore you must be willing to relocate as and when the programme requires.
Key Tasks and Areas of Work
- Assessing how our networks should be upgraded and expanded
- Developing algorithms to work out energy demand.
- Assessing worst case network faults so we can maintain our security standards
- Integrating new tools into our control rooms so staff can manage complex scenarios, such as increasing amounts of renewable energy connecting to the network
- Working with GB transmission owners to ensure our network simulation models are up-to-date.
- Providing a compelling, transparent view of future network capability, the issues associated with rapidly changing supply and demand patterns and the necessary development and implementation of innovative solutions to address those challenges
- All technical analysis necessary to offshore electricity network design
- Assessing system access and maintenance plans to ensure the system can be operated both securely and economically
- Ensuring the compliance & reliability of a range of existing and future generation connections
- Managing the technical aspects of electricity frameworks (both GB and Europe).
Whatever your specific responsibilities, you’ll be surrounded by the leading experts in the industry who are solving some of the biggest energy challenges we have ever seen. The knowledge and understanding of how we keep the lights on and the gas flowing, can only be understood within the System Operator.
The System Operator has been the launch pad of many of our senior leaders so, consider a career with us if you want to learn from the best business people in the energy industry.
Disabilities and Reasonable Adjustments
If you consider yourself to have a disability, long term health condition and/or require any reasonable adjustments to complete any part of our application process, please make us aware as soon as possible so we can make the relevant adjustments.
Please also contact us if you require this, or any other document in an alternative format such as large print, braille, audio or easy read.
Due to the sensitive nature of this role, if your application is successful, you may be required to undergo National Security Vetting in addition to the standard background checks National Grid carry out. If these additional security checks are required, you may need to evidence that you have resided in the UK for the last 3 years. National Security Vetting is carried out by a third-party provider, UK Security Vetting (“UKSV”), which is part of the UK Government. More information about UKSV’s use of your personal data can be found on their website.