News Manager – Research
My client is a market leader in strategic communications research. The firm are an interesting combination; mainly focused on research and media intelligence supporting the global PR and communications industry. They work in variety of sectors, and their end clients are some of the world’s best known and most valuable brands. Their progressive, in-depth research and analysis methodologies provide their clients with insightful metrics, tools and consultancy to effectively manage their PR, social and communications strategies. They would say that their flexible, holistic and customised approach gives clients a competitive advantage in a rapidly changing media and communications environment.
I am currently recruiting a News Manager to work in their UK head office, working within the news team focused on a major international government account. You would be responsible for sending news reports on a variety of subjects, many of them political or economic in nature. You would be managing a small team to research global media coverage on target subjects agreed with the client, across social, digital and traditional media, selecting and editing relevant content to cut through the noise and generate an interesting overview of information affecting the client's decisions.
In addition to understanding the subject matter you need to be able to deliver strong account management, you are seen as the firm's news specialist and able to deliver the client expert counsel. You need to be someone that can be seen as someone they trust and rely upon to give them sound and honest advice. Your priorities are making sure account retention is high. You may occasionally also support in new business, working in the team with pitch preparation, new business proposals and creds documents.
Finally, as a line manager you will be responsible for junior team members and responsible for their performance and development. You will have some responsibility in recruitment.
You will be someone with both account management experience as well as experience with media, communications, marketing, market research or similar. For the right person there is excellent progression opportunity and they have a strong ethos of internal promotion based on merit and achievement in work.
Roles and responsibilities
- Responsible for news client accounts and having direct communication with the client
- Managing a small team effectively to ensure accurate and timely delivery
- Finalising daily and weekly news reports to send out to domestic and international clients
- Writing, editing and proofreading content for timely daily and weekly news reports
- Summarising international media coverage to generate an excellent overview about today´s news
- Researching international media coverage across the whole channel mix - social, digital & traditional
- Selecting relevant content for client-specific news reports
- Delivering excellent account management to ensure to be seen as an expert counsel to clients
- Line Management for and development of junior team members
- Supporting in retention and growth of existing client revenue
Essential Experience and qualifications
- Excellent planning ability
- Able to write intelligently and persuasively in English
- Understanding of politics and business
- At least two years’ experience in Marketing, Journalism, Communications or PR
- At least one years’ experience in working on client accounts
- An academic degree (Bachelors, preferably a Masters) in Marketing, Communications, Media, Journalism, Business Administration, Social Sciences or similar
- Proven editorial and research skills – as part of a university project or examples of workplace experience
- Excellent written and spoken English Language skills with in-depth understanding of grammar
- Excellent communication skills with experience in client communication
- Basic computer skills and knowledge of MS Office
- Knowledge of a foreign language - whilst not essential it is a plus.
Interested? Please send me your CV with a cover note explaining your interest in this company and role.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!