Graduate Project Engineer, Software
Graduate Project Engineer, Software
Salary: £25,000 + Benefits + Relocation Support
My client is a small medium sized software business that develops and sells several market leading software systems used by manufacturing businesses. Their clients are worldwide, and are manufacturers of all sizes, from multi billion global manufacturing operations to very specialist single site manufacturers. There are businesses manufacturing everything from basic steelwork products to the most recognisable and advanced high tech brand name defence and electronics technology using my client's software systems. There are several software packages specially built to cover the main areas of manufacturing; ie, production, quality, maintenance and inventory. Their products are very advanced, and the real time capability and tracking of the software is unparallelled in the industry. Although they are on top of their market, they are constantly looking at the latest technology in software and cloud computing as well as changes in the wider manufacturing sector.
As a business, they are fairly established and have now been around for over twenty five years. They have offices in five countries but their biggest location is still their head office in the South East of England. The head office is a good sized, smart, modern location. The business take on three or four graduates into their technical teams each year, mainly in software development and project management roles but occasionally other areas.
I am currently recruiting a technical project engineer to join the business in July 2018 as part of their 2018 graduate programme. The role would suit someone from a technical or numerate degree course, but I am open to people from other degree courses, that have demonstrable technical exposure from their course or from their work experience.
The work is varied. You would be working on large client accounts performing technical implementations and managing the technical side of running reports. It will vary according to client requirements, but it could include support, technical software development work on their systems and project management of application modification. Clients work in manufacturing, so you may be developing the links between the software application and their physical devices at their manufacturing site, their existing data and their current ERP systems. You may be working with them to customise their application, creating complex custom reports for their businesses and writing stored procedures C# interface scripts to allow them to get the most from their system. You may be involved with larger builds, coordinating the development of parts of the application, even involvement in the overall design and configuration of the overall solution.
Although the majority of time will be spent in the office, the role will include client visits, both within the UK and also internationally. As its a client facing role you need to be someone who can ask the right questions to uncover the client's main requirements and think constructively on your feet about potential solutions and work arounds where need be. Accuracy and high attention to detail are also important, without this problems are caused down the line.
As part of the graduate programme, the first eight weeks from your start date would be part of an intensive training programme. You would learn the applications, the theory on how they structure and design their applications to match client requirements, testing, and SCRUM and Agile methodology.
There are a lot of different types of work as part of the role, but the main elements will be:
- High level client technical support
- Implement customised reporting often entailing writing complex SQL scripts
- Developing links to factory devices, databases and ERP systems
- Writing stored procedures and C# interface scripts
- Designing and configuring overall client application solutions
- On site delivery and implementation visits in the UK and internationally
- Minimum 2.1 degree in a degree with significant technical or numerate content.
- Confident communicator, written and verbal.
- Strong attention to detail
- High level of numeracy
- Knowledge of SQL advantageous.
- An understanding of stored procedure development would be useful.
- Experience of coding in multiple languages required. C# would be useful but not essential.
- Some front end web development experience could be helpful
- Working experience in a professional role with technical content is preferred but not required, for example, as an applications consultant, technical project coordinator, technical data analyst, business systems analyst, software developer or software tester.
- A sound understanding of unit testing is desirable but not essential.
- Team player.
Interested? Please click the apply button below with a CV and a brief cover note explaining your motivation for the role.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!