Technical Applications Engineer (Semiconductor Electronics)
My client is a small, independent electronics design and manufacturing business specialising in design and manufacture of precision electronic test systems and equipment used within the semiconductor industry. The types of systems and equipment vary, using a diverse array of technologies including DSP, FPGA, Real-time Linux, power electronics and digital servo. The business has a large focus on research and development, doing a large amount of leading, specialist research on different ways of designing test systems, being known in particular as an expert in field leader in power MOSFET testing. Design and prototyping is done in house, manufacturing is often outsourced to trusted local partners in the United Kingdom. They supply clients around the world, and it’s worth noting the businesses biggest market is East Asia.
Although they are a small business they have a streamlined, organised and professional approach to work that is reflected in the results they have in their research, high annual sales and success. It’s also worth saying that it is a friendly, open work environment with excellent recognition for the work you do and the problems you solve.
I am currently recruiting a Technical Applications Engineer to join their applications team. You would be directly involved in how important clients test their latest semiconductor devices. Your role would be mainly working with two client businesses, providing them with technical guidance and support in order for them to use their test equipment in the best way, both the physical electronics equipment as well as the embedded software and selection of the best programmes for use in testing for any specific application. In addition to technical support the role encompasses systems installation, commissioning, application testing, technical documentation and customer training.
As client businesses manufacturing locations are overseas, you would be spending a significant amount of time working abroad onsite from year two onwards, an estimated 25 % of the year.
We are open minded as to background but there are a few things we want to see. We need you to have a technical background to be able to understand the theory and some of the practical aspects of semiconductors and the related electronics equipment. You must be educated to bachelors or master’s degree level in either physics, electronics engineering, electrical engineering, mechatronics or a related field with significant electronics content. The biggest focus in the role is solving client’s technical problems. So having a can do attitude, a troubleshooting and fault finding mind-set to work and being able to work independently are all key personal attributes. We need our clients’ to feel looked after, so having a consultative approach and being able to use your knowledge to “think on your feet”, even when under pressure (for example when you are abroad with a client who are on a tight manufacturing deadline) are very important.
Training is important to the business. In the first year in addition to a lot of different types of useful work you will be effectively trained in their products, systems and technology. You will be mainly based in the company’s offices in Surrey in the first year, doing less travel to client sites and more work testing of both the physical equipment and software as well as applications work. Having the exposure to the different applications of the technology and the actual manufacturing process gives you a lot more confidence and credibility when doing applications work with key clients.
- Troubleshooting hardware, firmware, software and systems.
- Installation and configuration of systems at customer sites.
- Remote customer support via email, skype, conference and telephone.
- Customer training including system operation, applications testing and systems administration.
- Create and maintain online user guides and training material.
- Considerable work with both the Windows as well as Linux operating systems
- Support to the design and sales teams within business to resolve client issues in a holistic and though out way.
- Some systems support to internal users within the business may be required from time to time.
You will need to have:
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in electronics engineering, electrical engineering, mechatronics, physics or a related course
- 12 months – 2 years’ work experience in a professional technical environment. Open minded as to how this could look.
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written.
- Able to develop rapport with clients quickly and work in a consultative way. Includes being able to work equally well with senior management as well as factory-floor production operatives.
- Knowledge of physical properties of semiconductors.
- Ideally exposure to both analogue and digital electronics technology.
- Positive approach and pride taken in work undertaken and successful results achieved.
- Ability to be persuasive where appropriate
- Second language would be advantageous, though not essential. Mandarin could be particularly useful.
In return, the business can offer you a rewarding environment in a specialist electronics business to progress your career within. Whilst working with an exciting group of multidisciplinary engineers who are experts in field and good people to work alongside.
Interested? Please send me a copy of your CV and a cover letter outlining your interest in the role.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!